Would smart lipo suit me or a tummy tuck? as I am 5'9 approx. 210lbs (photos)

I do go to the gym and exercise regularly I was 265+ before and I gained a bit of weight since an injury at work but usually I range between 172-185. The lowest ive ever weighed was approx. 160lbs but it was too low for m and I reached that weight by not really eating so throughout the years I gained weight back.

Lipo and TT

I believe that you'll make a good candidate for an extended tummy tuck with liposuction in  the waist, upper and lower back and fat grafting in to buttocks.

Dr. Campos

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Smart Evaluation

I would say that you would be best served by having a proper evaluation by a smart plastic surgeon.  Smart lipo has no scientifically proven benefit to patients; it is most helpful to the folks selling the machine.  The patients with the best results are those who have chosed the best surgeon, not the best marketing.

None of us know your medical history so none of us know if you are a candiate for aesthetic surgery.

The limited view photographs are certainly no substitute for a physical examination.

Having said that, you may be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty combined with a circumfrential torso liposuction.  A formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will likely be worth your while.

Liposuction versus Tummy Tuck

Based on your pictures, it looks like a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) would be the best procedure for you.  However, you would need to be seen in person to have an examination and to review the procedures.  Tummy Tuck removes extra skin and fat, tightens the muscles and can narrow the waist.  Liposuction only removes fat and, depending on how your skin responds, some skin tightening/retraction.  However, based on the pictures, I think you would end up with wavy skin if you only had liposuction.

Good Luck. 

David Shafer, MD

You absolutely need a tummy tuck

SmartLipo is not smart... it's just lipo.  It will not take away the extra skin rolls that you have, only a proper tummy tuck can do that for you.  Although a tummy tuck is going to leave you with a longer scar than the small incisions of a lipo, the improvement it will give you is beyond anything SmartLipo can offer.  In fact I'd say lipo will not give you less of an improvement than a tummy tuck, it will actually make you look worse than you are now.  Simply sucking out fat and not removing excess skin will leave you with unsightly skin folds and lines on your abdomen

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Would smart lipo suit me or a tummy tuck? as I am 5'9 approx. 210lbs

Tummy tuck will produce a much better result than liposuction.

Los Angeles, CA.....

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you very much for your question.  It appears, based on your photographs, that a combined procedure of liposuction and a tummy tuck would be your best option.  This would remove all excess skin and flatten your abdomen completely.  In addition, liposuction of the flanks and hip rolls can enhance your overall shape and contour.  It is important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a definitive evaluation.  

Bill Kortesis, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

From these pictures it looks like you only have enough skin laxity for a tummy tuck with liposuction of the waist and flanks. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo or a tummy tuck?

There are options opther than a tummy tuck that exist for the appropriate patient: A wedge excision of the lower abdominal excess tissue without repair of the muscle, liposuction in conjunction with the wedge excision, liposuction alone, radiofrequency tightening of the skin, and non-surgical fat removal by freezing or radiofrequency.

Based on your brief history and photos, it is unlikely that anything other than a tummy tuck would produce a satisfactory cosmetic result. Liposuction of selective areas in addition to the tummy tuck would improve the overall result. Any type of liposuction alone would result in greater skin hanging and an unsatifactory cosmetic result. You would still need a tummy tuck.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction will not tighten your skin adequately as a tummy tuck will

Based on your photographs even laser liposuction will leave you with loose skin after surgery.

If you want to tighten the abdominal skin a tummy tuck is a better option.

Smart liposuction or tummy tuck

Thank you for your pictures. I believe that a tummy tuck would be the best procedure to improve the shape of your abdomen. In my mind smart liposuction is for isolated areas of fat and loose skin.

Earl Stephenson, Jr MD, DDS, FACS