Lipo - do I have to lose weight before or after?

I am a woman, 5'7' height and 250 pounds. Do I have to lose weight first before doing lipo or after? I wanna do my arms, back, stomach, sculpt my butt....

Weight loss before or after Lipo

Its best to remember that liposuction is a contouring procedure, not a weight loss procedure.  Without seeing you in person or seeing pictures on this site, it is impossible to give you specific recommendations.  

Liposuction or weight loss

Sundrea,
Thanks for your question.  There is no right asnwer to your question.  Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is very high;  39.2.  You are at the highest number acceptable for elective surgery at my center.  Of course it is always better to lose weight and exercise before doing surgery.  Many paitents find it difficult to lose weight or get motivated as it takes sooo long to see results.  Liposuction results are seen rapidly.  The maximum amount of fat that can be removed is 5000 cc;s (5 Liters).  This will work for you in only one are such as abdomen or sides and back.  I am sure you would certainly go over the limit if we tried to treat multiple areas in a single session.
Best of luck in your decision.
Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Lipo at 250 lbs

Liposuction is best for patients at a lower BMI. You should try to lose weight first before having liposuction. Best of luck.

Be Near Your Ideal Weight Before Liposuction or Liposculpture

Tumescent liposculpture (otherwise known as liposuction) uses very small tubes to remove fat from problem areas permanently. However, liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure. Rather, it is meant to sculpt those areas of your body that are not responding to normal weight-loss techniques, such as diet and exercise. While you can have the procedure at most weights, it is advisable to be at or near your ideal weight to see the most dramatic results. Being at an ideal weight also probably means that you have the necessary habits to maintain your good results, rather than gaining weight after the procedure. However, if you are struggling with your weight, the beneficial results of liposuction might be all you need to inspire you to further weight loss. In some patients, liposuction can eliminate excess fat in certain areas, like the inner thighs which will make it easier to exercise which will improve your ability to loosed weight. Consult with a board-certified dermatologist to have your situation evaluated more thoroughly.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Greetings Thank you for your question, it would be best to first loss weight before doing liposuction.If you have unwanted fat deposits and you are not happy with them; if you have mild or moderate level of skin sagging and want a better look; then you can be a good candidate for liposculpture operation. Since the liposculpture operation is designed to remove only the fat precisely; there is no risk for other tissues to get damaged. You can easily get rid of your fat deposits with liposculpture operation which is a fast and safe method. Nutational Infrasonic Liposclupture is an effective method in terms of removing the excess fat tissue. In case of presence of excess skin tissue; this excess skin tissue can also be excised and removed. Therefore this method can be combined with lifting operations. If the skin laxity is not too excessive and it can be solved with a non-surgical procedure like Spider Web Method; this method also can be used.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss

It is best to lose weight before liposuction to get your best result. Your goal should be a weight that you can maintain for your lifetime if possible. Best wishes.

Weight loss before liposuction

You will get a much better result if you can lose as much weight as possible prior to surgery. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Good Luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lose the weight before and after liposuction

Patients who get the best results with liposuction are ones who have have actively lost a significant amount of weight before having the procedure, then plateaued at a particular weight, then had liposuction, then continued to lose the weight afterwords due to lifestyle change, motivation and change and metabolism.    Liposuction is not a replacement for diet and exercise, it is only a supplement to it. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Based on your height and weight, your body mass index (BMI) is over 39 (too high).  This puts you at increased risk for wound healing complications, anesthesia complications, blood clots (deep vein thrombosis) and a poor aesthetic result.  Try to lose weight with diet and exercise to get close to your ideal weight.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS