Will getting a Tummy Tuck cause issues with having children in the future or gaining weight? (photos)

I am looking to have loose skin removed from Abdomen after a 100 lbs natural weight loss. I have no children, but I plan to one day. I don't need muscle repair and want to get a tummy tuck done within the next year. I wanted to know if with the tummy tuck will cause an issue in the future when I do have kids or if I gain weight again? Also what is the range of costs for the tummy tuck procedure as I do not require any muscle Repair? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am in NY and currently seeking out a plastic surgeon to perform a Tummy Tuck. I am open to traveling out of the state.

See average cost near you for Tummy Tuck

To find doctors in your local area, please click here. 

Tummy Tuck before Pregnancies

Thank you so much for reaching out and posting pictures, and CONGRATS on your weight loss, that is such an amazing accomplishment in itself! You seem to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck but do agree with some of the previous answers. Pregnancy will be safe, but with pregnancy your skin and abdomen muscles will be stretched and you will likely loose the tightness of the skin achieved in your tummy tuck. So I would suggest waiting until you are done having children to have tummy tuck, that way you can keep and enjoy the results. Best of luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Will getting a Tummy Tuck cause issues with having children in the future or gaining weight?

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but if you plan on future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial. Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and pregnancy

That loose skin that hangs will never bounce back, as you have discovered.  So, the main question is timing - do the tummy tuck before and risk having the baby/pregnancy stretch out your skin which could require a revision.  Or, wait and have your babies and then get the tummy tuck.  I think for me, it depends on your lifestyle and goals.  You clearly need that skin off in the form of a formal abdominoplasty.  If you're not planning on getting pregnant for a few years, then it may be worth it to go ahead and get it done, if you're okay with the possibility of needing it revised at some point.  If you're planning on getting pregnant within a year or two, then I'd suggest you wait.  

Cain R. Linville, MD

Tummy tuck questions

You are an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty. It would have no impact on pregnancy but the converse is not true.  If you stretch out during a pregnancy, you may need subsequent revision. Weight gain would not affect you differently from a woman who has not had the surgery. In terms of cost, this will vary depending on the practice and overhead costs for facility and anesthesia.  You should limit your doctor search to board certified plastic surgeons.  New York has one of the largest concentrations of plastic surgeons in the country so there is no need to take on the issues related to travel.  Congratulations on the outstanding weight loss!

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Having a tummy tuck will have any adverse effects on the health or growth of any future children.  You may need some additional revision work done afterwards if you do have children.  Cost varies based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Congratulations on your very significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment! Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck. 

Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Having said the above, if you are not planning on pregnancies in the near future, it may make sense to undergo tummy tuck surgery now (and hopefully enjoy the outcome of the procedure for many years). Just keep in mind, as mentioned, that a revisionary procedure may be necessary after pregnancies are completed.

I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns) helps.

Will getting a Tummy Tuck cause issues with having children in the future or gaining weight

First of all, congratulations on the wonderful achievement. As to a tummy tuck getting in the way of a future pregnancy or weight gain, the answer is no, it will not. The only issue is that the benefits of the tummy tuck may be lost form weight gain or a pregnancy

Julio Garcia, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your pictures and provided information as well. Congratulations, you look amazing. Having kids after having a tummy tuck wont cause any problems, but if you are planning on having kids soon I recommend to wait until oyu have them. I also recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your goals and concerns.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck causing issues with Having Children or Future Weight Gain?

I am sure that having children or gaining excessive weight will undo the aesthetic improvement that a tummy tuck will provide. Having said that there are not any contraindications to the surgery. Perhaps re-think having it done if cost is a concern.

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Malibu Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Congratulations you look great! A tummy tuck tightens skin, removes excess fat and tightens the muscles. It appears from your pictures that you have great abdominal muscles. You can have a tummy tuck that removes excess skin and fat but does not tighten your muscles. This should not prevent you from getting pregnant or gaining weight in the future.  This gives a very natural looking tummy and belly button. In addition pain and recovery are significantly less versus traditional techniques. It is not uncommon for patients to take only Tylenol after surgery. For more information please see the enclosed video. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA