Concerned with my Radiesse filler. It's too smooth?

Hello. I've been using Radiesse every 6-8 months. It is lumpy of course but I didn't mind because wasn't visible. I changed my doctor and this time it's too soft! I felt no lumps, no hardening...nothing! Almost as she just poked me with needlesome without injecting anything. No visible results ether. Is it normal not to have lumps and have soft skin in places of injection? She didn't even have to massage. Very concerned. Thank you.

Time and comparison photos

The best way to determine how good the procedure was is to do comparison photos. This is standardised for all specialist, however I also encourage patients to take selfies. This will show the results. Additionally Radiesse can stimulate your own collagen production, so the benefits will be best at the 2-3 month mark. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Concerns with Radiesse results

Without photos for comparison it is hard to give advice. As for immediate results you should notice a difference even if it is mostly swelling. There could be a number of aspects to take into consideration like swelling, lidocaine mixture etc. The best way to tell are before and after photos. If you still have concerns please follow up with your injecting doctor first.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smooth operator

Hey Camelia and thanks for your question!

I'd say it's a great thing that things are smooth- you should notice a difference though. Sometimes the only way we notice the after effect is that we must compare before and after photos. The changes are often subtle but meaningful. 

Another aspect that can contribute to smoothness is how much lidocaine was mixed with the radiesse. I'll usually mix 1-1.5cc of plain lidocaine in with my injections depending on how soft i want it. 

Hope this helps!

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician

Radiesse smoothness

It is not unusual for there not to be lumps after Radiesse, especially if the doctor is very experienced and very good, but you should notice some benefit. If not the injections were done too low

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without an in-person examination, or full series of photographs, it is difficult to offer definite advice but if you are not seeing any results of your treatment you may wish to voice your concerns with your injector.  Though having a smooth result is ideal, it is not uncommon to have a "tense" skin quality due to tissue swelling as well as small lumps or bumps as the material settles.  Hope this helps.