Exercise After 5 Weeks Post Op Mini Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

Hi im 5 weeks post op mini tuck and breast augmentation and i would like to know when it would be ok to use the elliptical trainer ? Thanks :)

Returning to Exercise after a Tummy Tuck & Breast Augmentation

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

We advise patients to wait...

Recovery from breast augmentation surgery varies from patient to patient. We generally recommend that patients take a week off work after this procedure.  Occasionally, patients return to work even sooner, especially if they have a desk job.  Patients are not allowed to return to strenuous activities for at least six to eight weeks.  At that point they are allowed to resume all of their normal activities.  Patients should go slowly at first and listen to their bodies.                 Each patient is unique and should be considered individually.  For this reason, it’s important to maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to make recommendations regarding the resumption of exercise and workouts.

Post Op Exercising

Thank you for your question. Discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and after evaluating you, he can determine when you can engage in this level of activity, and what signs to observe for if you are doing too much. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Limited exercise may be permitted five weeks after mommy makeover.

The ultimate arbiter of your postoperative activities is your surgeon. Most patients can resume exercise with some moderation by five weeks.

Exercise after surgery

In general, the type of exercise you are considering should be fine to do.  Starting slowly is the key. However, you should confirm with your surgeon before resuming these activities.  He or she may have a different opinion based on how you're healing or what was seen in the operating room.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation and mini-tummy tuck

Every surgeon has a different post-operative routine following surgery.  And sometimes a surgeon will vary his or her protocol based on what happens in the operating room.  I usually allow my patients to start mild physical activity -- like walking or the elliptical -- between 2-3 weeks, but as you can see from the responses below, there is a huge variety in the surgeon recommendations.  For the reason, I would definitely suggest that you ask your surgeon when it is ok for you to do the elliptical.  Only he or she knows exactly what happened in surgery.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Mommy Makeover

most importantly, follow the directions from your operating surgeon.  My routine is to allow moderate aerobic activity at 3 weeks.  At six weeks I allow unrestricted physical activity.  Good Luck!

Thank you for your question about exercise after your mini-tummy tuck and breast enlargement.

• Five to six weeks is the usual time to start exercise after a mini-tummy tuck or breast enlargement.
  • Start slowly. I recommend starting at a quarter of your previous workout - if it was an hour, do only 15 minutes, if it was fast, start slowly.
  • Check with your surgeon also. If exercise hurts or makes you swell - stop a few days, start again more gently. Best wishes. Hope this helps.

Exercise.

A waiting period of 5 weeks post tummy tuck sounds reasonable. This is what I did in my past. Discuss this with your surgeon and go slow. All the best

Returning to exercise following a mini-abdominoplasty and breast augmentation.

Every plastic surgeon will have a different approach to managing post-op recovery and return to normal activities.  Many mini-abdominoplasty procedures involve only a skin excision and others may involve the repair of the muscle fascia from the umbilicus down.  Under these circumstances it  would be best to check with your plastic surgeon  before beginning any exercise program.  In general, by 5 - 6 weeks most patients are able to return to their normal routine and activity level.