Exercise After 5 Weeks Post Op Mini Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

Hi im 5 weeks post op mini tuck and breast augmentation and i would like to know when it would be ok to use the elliptical trainer ? Thanks :)

We advise patients to wait...

Recovery from breast augmentation surgery varies from patient to patient. We generally recommend that patients take a week off work after this procedure.  Occasionally, patients return to work even sooner, especially if they have a desk job.  Patients are not allowed to return to strenuous activities for at least six to eight weeks.  At that point they are allowed to resume all of their normal activities.  Patients should go slowly at first and listen to their bodies.                 Each patient is unique and should be considered individually.  For this reason, it’s important to maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to make recommendations regarding the resumption of exercise and workouts.

Post Op Exercising

Thank you for your question. Discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and after evaluating you, he can determine when you can engage in this level of activity, and what signs to observe for if you are doing too much. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Limited exercise may be permitted five weeks after mommy makeover.

The ultimate arbiter of your postoperative activities is your surgeon. Most patients can resume exercise with some moderation by five weeks.

Exercise after surgery

In general, the type of exercise you are considering should be fine to do.  Starting slowly is the key. However, you should confirm with your surgeon before resuming these activities.  He or she may have a different opinion based on how you're healing or what was seen in the operating room.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation and mini-tummy tuck

Every surgeon has a different post-operative routine following surgery.  And sometimes a surgeon will vary his or her protocol based on what happens in the operating room.  I usually allow my patients to start mild physical activity -- like walking or the elliptical -- between 2-3 weeks, but as you can see from the responses below, there is a huge variety in the surgeon recommendations.  For the reason, I would definitely suggest that you ask your surgeon when it is ok for you to do the elliptical.  Only he or she knows exactly what happened in surgery.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Mommy Makeover

most importantly, follow the directions from your operating surgeon.  My routine is to allow moderate aerobic activity at 3 weeks.  At six weeks I allow unrestricted physical activity.  Good Luck!

Thank you for your question about exercise after your mini-tummy tuck and breast enlargement.

• Five to six weeks is the usual time to start exercise after a mini-tummy tuck or breast enlargement.
  • Start slowly. I recommend starting at a quarter of your previous workout - if it was an hour, do only 15 minutes, if it was fast, start slowly.
  • Check with your surgeon also. If exercise hurts or makes you swell - stop a few days, start again more gently. Best wishes. Hope this helps.

A waiting period of 5 weeks post tummy tuck sounds reasonable. This is what I did in my past. Discuss this with your surgeon and go slow. All the best

Returning to exercise following a mini-abdominoplasty and breast augmentation.

Every plastic surgeon will have a different approach to managing post-op recovery and return to normal activities.  Many mini-abdominoplasty procedures involve only a skin excision and others may involve the repair of the muscle fascia from the umbilicus down.  Under these circumstances it  would be best to check with your plastic surgeon  before beginning any exercise program.  In general, by 5 - 6 weeks most patients are able to return to their normal routine and activity level.  

Exercise after Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

Since you have already had surgery, it is best to ask your surgeon or their office as you are under their care.  In our office, we recommend waiting two weeks after breast augmentation before starting rigorous exercise involving the upper body and 6 weeks after tummy tuck before starting rigorous exercise involving the abdominal muscles.  However, after any surgery, it is important to listen to your body and take things one step at a time.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD