Hi, I am looking for a doctor who will do silicone implants under 22 years old. Any suggestions?

I am 19 years old, I have very small breasts and not much breast tissue. I had a consultation with one doctor and she suggested saline under the muscle but I would be much happier with silicone and I do not want to wait 3 more year . I live in Arizona but would be willing to travel as far as California.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Silicone Implants in Women Under the Age of 22 #breastaugmentation

• I have performed breast augmentation with silicone implants for women under the age of 22 because from a physiologic and safety standpoint, there is no reason not to.  I think women 21 years of age will benefit from silicone implants just as  much as someone who is 22 years old.
  • Women under the age of 22 do need to understand that the implant companies will not honor any warranties due to their age.  Therefore, if you develop a leak or capsular contracture, the implant company will not reimburse you at all for any costs incurred from surgery or implant replacement. 
  • Definitely call around to some ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in near you. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

I am looking for a doctor who will do silicone implants under 22 years old = tought #breastimplants #silicone

The FDA recommends to place silicone implants only in patient 22 years old or older for "safety". Therefore, plastic surgeons place saline filled breast implants in patients younger than 22 years old

Technically a plastic surgeon in the US can place silicone breast implants in patients under age 22 not following the FDA guidelines. The problem is that if by any reason there is a problem and the patient decides to sue the surgeon, he or she is "fried" in court because he/she implanted the device in a patients against  FDA recommendations. 

In my practice I don't place silicone breast implants in patients younger than 22 years old to be in accordance to the FDA guidelines. 

John Mesa, MD

Silicone under the age of 22

Although there is an FDA recommendation to not use silicone implants in patients under the age of 22, it is frequently done. In my practice, I have used silicone implants in women under the age of 22, as I believe many patients can benefit from them. That being said, you may void certain warranties on the implant as it used outside of the FDA recommendation. I highly recommend searching for board certified surgeons in your area that do perform breast augmentation in women under age 22. Best of luck!

I am looking for a doctor who will do silicone implants under 22 years old.

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Therefore, I find that I DO use silicone gel breast implants for patients under the age of 22 frequently.  

Generally, much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc can be potentially confusing as they may mean different things to different people.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
Ultimately, whether you choose to proceed with breast augmentation surgery will be a very personal decision that should be made only after careful consideration of pros/cons/risks/complications associated with the procedure.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.