Is the lower bulge in my abdomen normal? 8 weeks post op. (photos)

I am 8 weeks post op from TT, MR and Lipo of flanks. I am very happy with upper abdomen and flanks. I'm a little concerned with the lower abdomen. It doesn't seem "flat" and seems to kinda poke out. My Dr has told me this is still swollen and will subside in the future. However, I feel I still have loose skin. Is it normal to still have loose skin after a TT? My dr says he thinks this looks great but I'm just not sure. Does this look good? I just thought I would be totally flat.

Bulge

Your photos do not show a reason for concern.  Swelling in the lower abdomen is to be expected at this stage.  Time is your friend moving forward as swelling can take up to six months to resolve.  Please continue to follow the instruction provided by your surgeon.  Hope this helps.Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Is the bulge in my lower abdomen normal?

Thanks so much for your question.  I know that 8 weeks seems like a long time following surgery but it's still relatively early.  Give things more time and your results will continue to improve.  I think things look great so far, from your photos, so you should expect really nice results.  Good luck. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results

Hello and thank you for sharing your questions and photos on RealSelf.A very important question to ask in that many tummy tuck patients get a bit concerned about lower tummy swelling around the 6 to 12 week period.  First of all, the lower tummy bulge is expected at 2 months and will improve over the next 4 to 6 months.  It is just swelling where three layers of stitches exist beneath the skin.  Your body needs time to not only get rid of the swelling but dissolve the stitches.Second, everybody has a little looseness in the lower tummy when they sit.  We cannot make you so tight that you are flat even when sitting.  You would not be able to stand up straight if we did that to you.  Also, it would be so tight that the scar would pull up above the bikini line.  That being said, I do have some patients who do have another minor procedure in the office to remove a bit more skin.  I have them wait minimum of six months.Hope this helps.Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Lower Bulge in Abdomen after Tummy Tuck #tummtuck

• From the photos you have posted it appears that you are healing up really nicely after your tummy tuck.
  • You aren't going to see your final results 8 weeks after a tummy tuck.
  • I would trust your plastic surgeon when he tells you that you still have some swelling.
  • The area to stay swollen the longest is the lower abdomen and along the incision, as this area is the most dependent area of the tummy tuck.  Gravity simply carries fluid to this region....
  • Try to be patient, and over the next couple months you'll likely be very happy with your results. 
  • Thanks for sharing!