One labia split in two; can I get it corrected?

So when I was 6, I got in an accident and I one of my labia was torn into two parts. I always believed the smaller part was my clitoris (I thought mine was located very low and on the right) but during puberty realized it wasn't. Now I am extremely self aware and I don't understand why the doctor didn't "sew" it back. Was it normal to leave it like that? I feel like a monster, is there something I can do to get that corrected and if that was a mistake of the doctor can my assurances cover that?

Can you get it corrected?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labiaplasty

Of course you can get this repaired with a labiaplasty procedure. Check with your cosmetic surgeon to see if he does these. I prefer the posterior wedge method outlined in the link below.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty

I am sorry to hear about your situation....but the good thing is Yes...this can be corrected! At the time of injury and given your young age, and the situation, there may have been a variety of reasons this was not sutured. Looking forward, this is something that can be addressed, likely with a small wedge labiaplasty. You should never feel like this is an abnormality....just think of it as a variation and something that can easily be corrected. Many women have asymmetries in their labia and a variety in their anatomy and as a women we should never be ashamed by our anatomy. If you decide to have this corrected, my advice is to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this field. As for insurance, there technically is an insurance code for labiaplasty, although it is very difficult to sometimes get this covered through insurance. Often times, you can ask your surgeon to try and ask your insurance for authorization, but if this is being done for aesthetic reasons, your insurance will likely not cover this. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Labial Tear

I am sorry about your situation.  Labial tears can usually be repaired even after several years.  This outpatient procedure can be performed by an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon.  Traveling may be required to find the right surgeon to correct your condition.  A physical examination would be required to determine your current situation and recommend the treatment options.  

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Cosmetic correction of labial injury

Hello Ananime,

Thank you for your great question and sorry to hear that you've struggled your whole life with this. Unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover cosmetic repair of torn labia. You can certainly have it repaired. It can be done in an office setting under local anesthesia. This enables complete privacy and comfort, but it also keeps your fees lower.

Visit the link below for excellent examples of labial tear cosmetic corrections.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

A reconstructive labiaplasty would suit you well

When trauma is treated in an emergency setting the priority is to prevent infection and control bleeding. Everything else is secondary and cosmesis takes a back seat. When the smoke has cleared aesthetic concerns can then be addressed - months or years later. Now that you are ready for a reconstruction, seek out a labiaplasty expert. You can see a typical reconstruction for the type of injury you describe on the video.

Thank you for your question.  However, without a picture or an examination we cannot tell you what is possible in your specific case.  Generally, you should be able to have edges of the laceration revised and sewn back together.  Make sure you find a doctor that has experience doing labiaplasties.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your traumatic laceration.  Without photographs to offer definite advice, it should be possible to revise your injury to leave you closer to your original anatomy.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation so that you can maximize your aesthetic goals.  Best wishes.  

Labia tear

I have repaired multiple lacerations like yours. The initial doctor's repair would probably have failed in the acute state. However, now you can be repaired by a very experienced surgeon.  In my experience, the most reliable and natural way to reconstruct you is by doing a variation of a wedge reduction.  As the inventor of the central wedge labiaplasty over 20 years ago, I have reconstructed many of these lacerations.  Sometimes, the opposite labium needs to be reduced to give good symmetry.  I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance,The correction of your tear is more difficult than a routine labiaplasty. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so ask a lot of questions. 

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD