I have severe gynecomastia. Will I be able to return to my college on Monday if I have the surgery on the preceding Thursday?

My surgery will require both gland excision and liposuction through the peri-areolar method. Will I be able to return to college 4 days after surgery? Will I also be able to lift a light bag and put on a winter coat?

How To Plan Your Recovery and Activity After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Will I be able to return to my college on Monday if I have the surgery on the preceding Thursday?

Hi there,
Generally you should be if the procedure is liposuction and gland excision. Then again , the restrictions are always individualised and the best person to guide you will be your surgeon.
best of luck

Gynecomastia surgery

It is hard to say because that depends upon many factors. Are you going to have a drain, how extensive of a procedure is it, to name a few.  Everyone also heals a bit differently.

Gynecomastia

It is always difficult to answer a question like this .The answer depends on several factors which include your anatomy, what is done during surgery ,the surgeon's experience and your postoperative course. Having said that for my patients that would not be a problem  typically.

Gynecomastia

Well 4 days is cutting it close.  Plus you will most likely have a drain in place which may not be able to be removed at 4 days.  If you college is near by, then it may be doable as long as you don't lift anything too heavy, espcially a backpack that would be pulling on your chest and shoulder.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Of course that's up to your own doctor. As a general rule of thumb you should be able to do what you're asking and avoid vigorous  physical activity 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery Recovery

Hi lightbulbsun,
Thanks for the post. Depending on what you do for a living and how much pain you have after surgery determines when you can go back to work.  There is no exact guideline as to when one returns to work or is able to lift certain things. Every surgeon will have slightly different restrictions and recommendations, and it will be important to discuss these things with your surgeon before the operation.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD