Would I qualify for breast reduction surgery? (photo)

I am 20 years old and have always hated my breasts. I'm 5'5 in and I weigh 115 pounds, my chest is a 30FF. My underbust is 27cm. I get neck/back pain; my shoulders have become rounded due to terrible posture as my boobs drag me down. I can't excercise or sleep comfortably, sometimes I wake up with tear marks on the breast. I absoloutley hate them and they don't suit my small frame. I am in the UK hoping to get them done for free on the NHS. I'm scared I will be declined.Please help.

Breast Lift Candidate

Candidates for #BreastReduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller #breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort. Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively #largeheavybreasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts. Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called #ReductionMammoplasty. Furthermore, large breasts may interfere with normal daily activities or exercise and will be more comfortable when reduced. Women who feel that their excessive breast size decreases a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, or results in unwanted attention are also candidates.

In some cases, those who think they could benefit from a #BreastReduction, can in fact, benefit from a #BreastLift. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss. Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #Augmentation/Mastopexy.
This can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. #FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast.

Breast reduction surgery coverage

Your breast volume would not be consistent with what is normally required for breast reduction surgery. The type of surgery you'd be more appropriate for would be some type of breast lift (mastopexy) with o without a small volume removal. This would be considered cosmetic in nature.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Would I qualify for breast reduction surgery?

Based on your description and pictures, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction/lifting surgery.  Best to be evaluated in person by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss  your goals, pro/cons, as well as a potential risk/complications associated with breast reduction surgery.  As you can imagine, it will be during this consultation process that you will be able to receive more information/predictions regarding the potential for “insurance” coverage of the procedure.

On,y way to find out to to apply for health coverage for your breast reduction.. Best to seek a surgeon's input from UK.. 

Breast reduction

Based solely on your photos, your breasts do not look so big.  It probably would not be covered by insurance.