When will I see the full effect of Neograft?

I had neograft done Jan 2015 on the crown part of my head due to PCOS. Since then I have noticed hair growth but not as much as expected. I still need to keep my hair pulled back to hide the spot on my head. I've spent a ton of money and went through alot of physical and emotional healing. I hope that what I have right now is not all I'm going to get

The full effect of a NeoGraft or any hair transplant takes about 18 months. It was was done in January 2015, so you should have seen the full effect by now. I have no idea how large the balding area in your crown was or how many graphs that you received or even how dense the hair was at your donor site, so is difficult to give you a reasonable assessment compared to your expectations.

Usually NeoGraft or any FUE technique or even strip hair transplant surgry is extremely successful, but you must have enough grafts to cover the defect. Possibly you have lost more of your existing hair, which you will surely lose with time as we all do. I suggest that you use minoxidil 5% foam twice a day to help delay any hair loss of your existing hair. The grafts, if taken from a good donor site, will not fall out for years to come. The problem is with your original here in that area. I also suggest Propecia, but you must look it up on the Internet to be fully informed of the risks.

An additional way to preserve your existingg hair is with injections of PRP (platelet rich plasma), which you should also familiarize yourself with. We inject a fair amount of PRP in our office, and patients so far have really liked the result. In most cases, it works best with a hair transplant, and my preference is the NeoGraft technology. 

Thank you for your question and best of luck to you.

How long for neograft hair to grow

The final hair transplant growth can take up to 12 months. Certainly other things  you  can do to thicken hair are platelet rich plasma(prp)  injections and the use of topical Rogaine products. Newer fat stem cell injections are still being investigated at centers as well.

If the result is still disatisfying, returning to your hair expert surgeon for evaluation may require additional FUE transplants using the neograft system down the road.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Final result after Neograft

Hi  and thanks for your question. The final result of hair transplantation into the crown area is at least 12 to 18 months following the initial procedure. Make sure to follow up with your hair transplant practice. There are other options that you may consider including the use of Rogaine and PRP.  Best of luck. 

Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Post NeoGraft Hair Growth

Wait till January of 2016 to see if your hair growth results change. The process is very long. If by then you do not see the growth you expected I would consult your surgeon about your concerns. 

Best of luck and remain positive.

Full Effect of Neograft

Thanks for your question!  It is understandably very hard to wait to see the results of your Neograft hair transplant, but hang in there!  It can take a full year to see good regrowth of the transplanted hairs.  As always, with any concerns, be sure to follow up with your hair expert!  Best of luck!

Neograft Timeline

After a year you should be seeing the full results of what you can expect to see from your hair transplant. 

If you are still unhappy it is important for you to discuss this with your hair transplant specialist. It is also important to be on a hair restoration program such as PRP, Finasteride or Monoxodil to make sure that you don't continue to lose hair.  

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female/Neograft

Results of a hair transplant take a full 12 months to regrow and fill in, sometimes up to 18 months. I would be interested in how many follicles were transplanted. Women often need more than one transplant to reach the density they desire. We highly recommend hair maintenance as well, especially the Ducray products which were developed and studied primarily for women. Don't stress and check into next affordable steps.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

The full effects of any hair transplantation procedure takes a full year.

We always recommend that our patients continue their treatments; whether it be Propecia, Spironolactone, Minoxidil, or the Ducray products to prevent any further loss of their non-transplanted hair. There will be a natural progression of hair loss, despite the transplant, so treatment can’t stop with the transplant. Many hair transplantation offices give patients the impression that the transplant is the final and only treatment that they will need. Unfortunately this is not true. A transplant can greatly replace what’s been lost (usually not at 100%), but does not prevent further progression of the hair loss in that area.

Elizabeth Arthur, MD
Rochester Dermatologist

Neograft results.

At more than a year after neograft you should know where your results are going to end up.  If you are not happy with it, you most likely will need more hair grafts to give you the desired density.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician