Should I continue to clean the open incision under my breast myself or do I need professional care? (Photo)

It have been 5 weeks since I've had my breast lift surgery before I found that the incision under my right breast started to open. I have showed and asked my doctor this problem but he told me that I don't have to worry and clean it every day with betadin. I have been following his instructions for the past two days but I don't see any improvement. Moreover, instead of cleaning it with betadin I have been cleaning it with higeen and but I'm worried if it's infected.

Caring for Incisions and Scars

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation. #Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. If you do not find that the cleaning instructions you were given are providing any improvement it would be best to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated and ensure that healing is progressing properly. Best of luck to you!

Delayed wound healing

Delayed wound healing after breast lift is not uncommon.  By keeping the wound clean and moist, you should heal.  I don't see signs of infection on the pictures but it is hard to tell with the iodine staining.  If you have redness, warmth, swelling and pain, those are signs of infection along with fever.  If those are present, you should see a doctor.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon