One week post op from mommy makeover and worried my incision is too high. (photos)

My doctor drew a relatively low line with the marker before surgery and I was told I would have a low incision. Now when my binder is off, my incision is right under my belly button and I am starting to feel like my stomach looked way better before surgery and I am wondering what I got myself into . In the pic below I am attaching my current appearance as of yesterday on the left and my body about a week before surgery on the right

One week post op from mommy makeover and worried my incision is too high.

From your pre op photos, it looks to me like you did not have a lot of abdominal laxity.  My guess is that it was not possible for your surgeon to make your incision any lower without leaving an additional midline vertical scar.  Sometimes it is not possible to predict the exact location of the scar.  Some patients stretch more than others and it really isn't until surgery when the skin is lifted up and then pulled down that the exact location of the scar is determined.  

Also, a fresh tummy tuck incision just looks so scary.  Once the swelling is down and the scar has smoothed out and faded, it will look so much better.  

Don't worry too much about this.  Take good care of yourself, follow up with your doctor and my guess is that you will be happy with your improved abdominal contour and be accepting of the scar.  

Post Mommy Makeover

At 1 week it is still very early in the healing process. As the swelling goes down and the scar matures the appearance of your abdomen will improve. It usually takes 4-6 months to begin seeing your results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have will your surgeon for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Too early to pass judgment on incision placement after a mommy makeover.

From the photograph I don't see anything particularly alarming although there is a large amount of swelling. I would bring your concerns up with your plastic surgeon.

Healing & Recovering After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Wait a few months before judging results

It is difficult to see how your stomach looked in your before photo. I don't see much loose skin or bulging for that matter, so I'm not sure if a tummy tuck was necessary for you. Either way, it's best to wait at least a couple of months for your healing to progress before making any judgement on your results. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Your incision is fine.   You must be patient and let healing occur without worry.   Worry does zero good.  If concerns come up ask your doctor.  My Best,  Dr

Incision too high

Dear kaylarose7

The early post operative period is often difficult emotionally. There is lots of bruising and swelling. Much of these changes will settle after the first month. Be patient and follow your surgeons instructions. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and he/ she will give you case specific advice. 

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

It is not unusual for a patient to be concerned that a tummy tuck incision is too high in the first few weeks after the surgery.  The abdominal skin and tissues are tight and swollen at this point.  In most cases the scar will settle lower on the abdomen as your tissues heal and stretch.  But this process can take at least 6 to 12 weeks or more.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Worried about tummy tuck result

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

It truly is too early to assess the result of your surgery.
You are swollen and things in the photo look fine for a week after surgery.
Let your body heal - but definitely discuss your concern with your surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.