Can lip asymmetry be addressed with a filler? (photo)

I would like to see a little more fullness in my lips and was hoping that the asymmetry could be addressed at the same time. Is this possible?

Lip Augmentation

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. In my professional experience, it is possible to consistently gain better symmetry and overall shape of lips with injection of hyaluronic acid lip fillers as it allows you to completely reverse the results if you do not like them.  While these are temporary (lasting about 6 months) they are quick, simple and have minimal pain or down time. For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with dermal filler and hyaluronic acid cosmetic injections.

Calgary Dermatologist

Yes, you could see good results with lip fillers.

Thank you for your question. From your photo, it looks like you may have some slight asymmetry that may respond nicely to injectable fillers, which can also help to plump the lips at the same time. Of course, consulting with a cosmetic surgeon in your area can offer you the best assessment of your specific situation and what type of results you can expect from injectable fillers. Keep in mind that these treatments are temporary, but can last for several months, so some maintenance is required to keep your same results. Good luck to you!

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Lip Asymmetry - Yes

Hi Myst1c12

Thanks for your post. It is difficult to tell from your photo and you would need a proper consult but here are some options for you. The may be able to address what you feel is asymmetry of your lips.

Lip fillers provide an effective temporary solution to help volumize your lips. Dermal filler injections add volume to the lips and typically last around 4-6 months. In some cases duration of the effects can be a bit shorter or longer. It would be best to start with these, to get a feel for how big you want to go. Then you may want to go on to a more permanent solution.

Permalip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and feel natural, yet enhance your lip volume to your desired size. It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.

Fillers

You should start out with 1cc of juvederm filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question, Myst1ci12. Yes, fillers/injectibles can provide the fullness and symmetry that you desire. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Fillers can be used to sculpt the lips.  I suggest you see an expert who can contour with fillers.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Asymmetry and Filler

Some subtle lip asymmetry can be addressed with a filler. However, the natural shape of your lips cannot be changed and the expectation has to be that you can augment your lips within this framework.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip asymmetry

Hi there, yes, your lips can be injected for more fullness and the asymmetry improved at the same time.  Please discuss with your injector the best filler options for your needs and good luck to you.

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation goals

I think that those who do this are ALWAYS trying to achieve symmetry while adding fullness. I just makes sense to try and make the two sides of the face similar. I even try to do this when repairing split earlobes. Symmetry is essential for the best result.

Hope this helps! If you find an experienced injector you should be fine.

Dr Beverly Johnson

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fullness and asymmetry can be addressed with filler

Yes, this is my typical patient. Many lips are not exactly even and require slightly more in one side than the other. Getting them even is not always possible but closer is. Many people with very small lips also don't see the asymmetries until the lips are inflated and have to be reminded with pictures that they were not even to start out. Restylane Silk is great for this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD