Should I go through with it? Is it normal to be so scared? Should I cancel?

I have a labiaplasty procedure skeduled in August and I'm really scared. Twice now I have gotten horrible sleep, tossing and turning and wondering what I should do. I still have some questions to ask the doctor (a gynaecologist I have not seen before) about recovery and payment, but I'm 90% sure it's covered by my insurance which is an opportunity I'm lucky to have. I also need to ask which procedure she plans on doing for me and her experience. Is it normal to be so scared? Should I cancel?

You're scheduled and you haven't seen your surgeon yet?

Why have you not yet met your surgeon?  Your surgeon should be able to tell you everything you need to know about the procedure and what technique would be recommended.  But if your insurance is covering this, then I guess you are in the system and can't really call the shots.  The procedure is straightforward but the recovery can be distressing.  If you're truly losing sleep over this, you should see if you can meet with your surgeon sooner.  And its entirely normal to feel as you do, especially when you read some of the experiences here.

Postpone for now

You need to feel settled on the surgery before having it. I would recommend postponing the operation and meeting with your surgeon beforehand to get questions answered and give the idea time to settle with you.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Should I go through with it? Is it normal to be so scared? Should I cancel my labiaplasty ?

Thank you for your question. The short answer is to cancel your surgery, since you are not mentally ready to proceed. Surgery should never be taken lightly, even in the best of hands some complications can happen. To consider yourself "lucky", because insurance covers your labiaplasty, does not say much about your surgeon's competence in these types of female genital surgery. Did your surgeon show you lots of preop and postop photos? Did he/she describe what exactly will be done, type of complications and how to resolve them? These procedures are not covered by insurance and the surgeons you should seek consultations with should be board certified plastic surgeons and gynecologists, who specialize in this type of surgery. In my practice, I'm taking care of two patients who underwent labiaplasty by local board certified gynecologists and ended up with genital mutilation. These are very difficult to correct. These are the things that would make me scared and keep me up at night. Ultimately, you have to go with your gut feeling. Good luck.

Fear and Hesitation for Any Surgical Procedure is Normal

Hello and thank you for your question. You should not feel bad at all about the fact that you still have questions and worries about your upcoming procedure, especially if there are remaining questions or topics not covered by your surgeon as of yet. Don't hesitate to contact her as soon as possible so that you know the answers to all of your questions and bring yourself back to a better, calmer state of mind.

Cancel

100% Cancel.You have never seen the doctor before? How is that OK?A gynecologist would also make me skeptical, unless they are one of the few experts who understand this procedure. If they are your local GYN, cancel.Insurance coverage is not worth it if the procedure is botched.All of the above is what I would tell a family member. Cancel. Find an expert.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your sleeping difficulties and nervousness.  It is perfectly normal to be apprehensive about any procedure especially when you have not had the opportunity to discuss any of your questions with your surgeon.  I would recommend trying not to think about the operation until your preoperative consultation with they gynecologist.  If they are unable to place you at ease and reassure you of the procedure you should definitely NOT move forward.  A labiaplasty is an elective procedure and one you need not, and should not, have until you are ready and comfortable with your decision.  Best wishes.

BEWARE of Gynecologists who offer to do labiaplasties "under insurance."

Dear "Scared," I have performed > 600 labiaplasty and written 2 books (1 textbook; 1 "popular" book.) You want my opinion? YES- you might consider cancelling your procedure! While it is normal to be "nervous," you shouldn't be SCARED. You should be 100% confident you are seeing the RIGHT SURGEON, and that she is someone who SPECIALIZES in labiaplasty and has done many many procedures and can SHOW YOU at least 25 "before and after" photos of her personal work. In my experience, virtually all docs who will "do it under insurance" are NOT EXPERIENCED. Virtually all the "botched labiaplasties" that I see were performed by general gynecologists, not SPECIFICALLY trained in genital plastics and who "...do it under insurance." The other problem is that virtually all insurance companies do not really cover cosmetic labiaplasty, so docs "fudge" a bit on their diagnoses and how they describe the procedure to their hospitals and the insurance company. If these 2 entities investigate, they may end up charging you, which can cost DOUBLE what an experienced expert would charge you. Of course, have your consult, ask the right questions and assure yourself that you will be attended by the right surgeon and one in whom you feel confidence!

The bottom line: BEWARE gynecologists who offer to "...do it under insurance..." You get what you pay for-- go for experience, rather than being "penny-wise and pound foolish..." It is NORMAL to be anxious at this point; make sure your prospective Gyn is experienced and answers all your questions to your satisfaction. Also, why don't you read the weblink below and navigate the website. There is a lot of information that may help educate you and minimize your nervousness...

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

It can be normal to be nervous. You are having a surgery...every surgery does carry some sort of risk no matter how minor. You should fee more comfortable after you actually meet the surgeon performing your procedure. They should be able to answer all of your questions and put your mind at ease. It is very important to ask what procedure they plan to perform.

Not ready

I agree with the prior statement.  This is an elective surgery.  If you are really unsure, wait and get all your questions answered.  You also would not be scheduling a surgery with a physician you  have not seen or spoken to.  In terms of insurance coverage, generally labiaplasty is not a covered procedure.  The procedure would need to be preauthorized by your insurance with photos and documentation of the problems you are having that effect your health. 

Fearful preop

It does not sound like you are ready for the operating room: unsure on doctor, procedure, whether you should cancel. Just because something is covered by ins. does not make it right. I believe you should be feeling: "I cannot wait to have this done!" and be very excited ahead of time for ELECTIVE (you want it) surgery. Think about waiting until these things are clearer in your mind. Remember, with cosmetic elective surgery some people are not 100% happy afterward--what if you are one of these? Do yourself and your doctor a favor and get these figured out soon.