Is 4000 too much for or too little for me? (Photo)

I am 29 and have been suggested 4000 grafts by two independent doctors . Both the doctors have estimated around 1800 for hairline and rest for top and crown .Moreover , can I ever sport a buzz cut look given a probably over harvested donor area. I don't want to end up in a spider web like situation. I know that my hair always grows slowly than others.

It would be best to ask your doctor about your expectation and goals.

It would be best to ask your doctor about your expectation and goals.  Hair transplant surgery can not replace your original hair density since it is only rearranging your existing hair. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

4000 too much?

It would be best to have an in-person consultation with an experienced Hair Restoration surgeon to evaluate your needs and compose a sensible treatment plan for you.You are young and have a pretty wide pattern,so you can probably expect more loss as you age.So it would be wise to do something to protect the hair that you have(for example Rogaine,Propecia,Laser,PRP) in addition to having transplants.You want to manage the donor area wisely as there is a limit to the total number of grafts available.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

4000 grafts?

It is very difficult to assess what are the needs for a patient over the internet. If your hair is coarse, then 4000 grafts would be very high, it is were fine, then that might be a reasonable total number. I would have to understand your donor supply to make a judgement

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts do I need ?

In my opinion you  need up to 4000 grafts to have full coverage . The goal is to choose the right extraction method . In my practice for cases such as yours  , I prefer to combine two extraction methods FUE and FUT . This way we are able to achieve 4500-5000 grafts in a single session without giving harm to patients donor area . On the other hand by Fue extraction method highest amount could be extracted is 3000-3500 grafts in a single session . I advise you to contact an ISHRS member surgeon and consult for your hair restoration options .  

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon