1 month post op, odd scar in left nipple & visible dents in my chest when not flexing/raising my arms. Is this normal? (photo)

So i'm about 1 month or so post OP and I've noticed that the skin around my left nipple is oddly disfigured (sunken nipple, darkened skin, odd scarring) in comparison to that of my left nipple in which theirs just some normal scarring and swelling. Also I've noticed dents just above the nipple in essentially the same areas where I used to be able to see the separation of breast tissue and muscle. Will these go away as time goes on? Will massaging the left nipple correct the odd disfigurements/sunkenness?

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Scar contracture deforming the nipple/areola

scar contracture deforming the nipple/areola can happen after gynecomastia surgery.  Aggressive massage can help to soften the scar, and if that is not successful a small revision under local may be required. I would give the massage at least three months to work before considering revision surgery

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Contour deformity after Male Breast Reduction

Thank you for your pictures.  This is a common problem I see in patients referred to me after male breast reduction/gynecomastia.  The tissue that is resected is very close to the nipple, often times not leaving mch fat behind.  This can easily scar to the chest wall and create a rippling deformity.  I utilize a technique where I reposition a cushion of fat behind the nipple to prevent indentation---which works very well.  You are only a month out from surgery, so I would give it some time for swelling to go down.  Fortunately, if this persists, this can be corrected with some fat injection.