I do not have dental insurance, and I have extreme anxiety about a visit dentist. What is my best course of action? (Photos)

I started noticing a white line along the gumline about 2 years ago, but never cared about it until my teeth started decaying - now I'm extremely self conscious and scared that my teeth aren't able to be saved. I do not have any tooth pain per say, but I do notice frequent bleeding when I floss. I have decay along the gumline on the central incisors, and I'm scared of getting my teeth pulled. I'm 21, mild smoker and I make sure to brush and floss as often as possible. I'm really scared...

Sedation dentistry

Sorry to hear about your situation.  The good news is that your teeth seemed restorable.  However, you need to address them ASAP.  The longer you wait, the more traumatic the procedure will be (root canal, crown, extraction).  As for your dental anxiety, there are methods to address it - nitrous, oral sedation, and IV sedation.  Unfortunately, it will cost you extra; however, it will be worth it to restore and save your dentition considering that you're only 21.  Of course, smoking doesn't help your situation.  I would tell you to go see a dentist ASAP.   If money is a concern, try a community dental clinic or a dental school.

Federal Way Dentist

Congrats on making a decision

Just the fact that you've taken the time to ask this question, tells me that you've already taken action and that's an accomplishment in if it self! 

Many patient find themselves avoiding the dentist because of the fear of pain, cost or the unknown. Your story is not unique. However the good news is that modern dentistry today has many solutions for patients just like you.

I am going to recommend that your first step is to find a sedation dentist in your area. Sleep dentistry is usually a great option for patients that have multiple areas of concern and a great fear of being in the chair.

The work that needs to be done in your mouth is extensive but in no way impossible! Often all work can be done in one long sedation appointment.

Your first visit is usuallly a consult and it will be very low key chat about your goals and your needs for your oral health. Please don't hesitate in taking that second step. 

Hisham Kaloti, DDS
Mississauga Dentist