Uneven top lip. Too much filler? (Photos)

I had 1.5ml Juvederm Ultra injected into my upper lip 3 days ago. One side seems to be settling down. The other looks and feels over filled. Can it be drained through a tiny needle puncture by my Dr? How long should/ or can I wait ?

Swelling after li

Hello, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Too much filler!

Unfortunately, this will not settle. 1.5ml to be injected in the top lip alone is excessive to say the least. I hardly inject just the top lip, we tend to work on a ratio of 1/3:2/3 for the size of the top lip in relation to the bottom lip for Caucasian individuals. There also appears to be too much filler within the sides of your lips which is not going to look natural.Please seek a qualified and experienced individual to help you. My advice would be to wait 2 weeks and then make a decision on removal.

Overfilled lips

I don't think that this is going to settle out to be a good look. However, you should wait 10 days and see what it looks like. It is easy to dissolve with hyaluronidase. Way too much was injected into the upper lip. The upper lips should be smaller than the lower lip by the golden ratio of 1:1.61.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling and Symmetry

Thank you for your question and for sharing photos. It is a good idea to wait 2 weeks post treatment for swelling to subside. At that point your injector can evaluate treatment results and symmetry of your lip. If needed, hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve some of the dermal filler to the treated area.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for the lips

Thank you for your question D.Anita. Juvederm is a filler that can be used to enhance the lips. Swelling after a treatment may last up to two weeks. For this reason I have my patients follow up two weeks after their treatment to take photograph and assess. Using cold compresses such as ice packs helps to reduce the swelling. Juvederm can be dissolved with hyaluronidase, but I recommend that my patient wait for two weeks before doing that. Studies have shown that the aesthetically desirable ratio of the upper lip to lower lip is 1:1.618. This is a number called phi. This ratio can vary from one culture to another. Anytime I perform lip injections I try to achieve this ratio. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician