Ear surgery. Is redo necessary every few years?

Hi! I wonder if after certain years after otoplasty do the ears go back to their original position or they stretch a lil bit trying to go back to their original position? Its been a y since i had mine done and im worried if i dont wear a head band every night or if i dont wear a band while im carrying heavy objects they stretch a lil cause i feel it when i do these maneuvers also when im very anxious i feel em stretch. I had these procedure 2ice ,1st in 2013 then in 2015.

Otoplasty

While there are multiple techniques employed by surgeons performing otoplasty, maintenance care is not necessary after this procedure.  Depending on the patient's needs and the surgeon's preferences, ear cartilage is typically removed, sculpted, and repositioned with a combination of absorbable and permanent sutures.  I instruct my otoplasty patients to wear a soft headband at all times for 1 week, and then nightly for 4 weeks after surgery.  Beyond this, as swelling resolves and scar tissue matures, minimal change is expected in a well-healing post-operative ear position.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty -- Is redo necessary every few years?

Traditional surgical otoplasty is not a temporary procedure. It should not require "touch ups" or revisions down the road to maintain the postoperative appearance. My otoplasty patients wear an elastic headband 24/7 for 1 week after surgery, then nightly for the next 3 weeks, and then the headband is no longer required. 

Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Maintenance down the road . . . None needed

Once you are a year from your surgery you should expect that your ears will stay that way without any further care needed.  The sutures placed in the cartilage are permanent sutures, but in fact aren't even needed anymore after 6 or 12 months.  The cartilage eventually takes on the new shape and won't spring back even if the sutures were gone.  If the sutures aren't positioned well enough to hold the ear in place all by themselves, the head band won't make it right.  A head band does not prevent the ears from coming back out.  In the first months, the sutures are either doing the job all by themselves, or the surgery will be a failure.  I only have patients wear a head-band early in the recovery to protect their ears when engaged in activities that might catch or pull on the ear.  Certainly a good yank on the ear will cause terrible damage in the early months of healing, but after sufficient time even that shouldn't undo the result . . . within reason of course.
Best Regards, 
Dr. A
Austin, Texas

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon