Is my chin too prominent and broken? (Photo)

I have never liked my chin, it is very protruding for my taste. Also, my jaw feels like it's broken. When I space out I feel it like its haging a little and when I open my mouth it clashes. I would like to know if it needs to be fixed and to make it look smaller too.

Doctor Answers 3

Long Chin

 Thank you for your pictures.  In my opinion, I would recommend a sliding genioplasty to reduce the vertical height and to improve your facial profile.

     This will provide you a natural result because I use your own tissue (bone) to improve your profile. For over 26 years I have performed sliding genioplasties and in my opinion it is the most natural and stable form of chin enhancement. A sliding genioplasty IS VERSATILE.  This technique can be use increase the prominence of the chin, decrease the prominence of the chin and it even can be used to correct asymmetries.  Chin enhancement can be performed using soft solid medical grade silicone implants.  This technique is a good technique but lacks the versatility of a sliding genioplasty.  A chin implant can ONLY be used to increase the prominence of the chin.

    The procedure is performed as an outpatient procedure. General anesthetic is required. The procedure typically consists of improving the chin position and contour through an incision inside the mouth . This incision is completely hidden.  This allows access to the bony chin.  An incision (osteotomy) is made in the bony chin to separate it from the lower jaw.  This segment of chin can be positioned as needed (forward, backward and/or to the left or right) to produce the desired result.  The chin is fixed in its new position with either titanium screws or stainless steel wires.  The metals are very kind to the body.  The incision is carefully closed to reposition the muscle of the chin and lower lip with dissolvable stitches.  Very light compression tape is placed to help manage swelling.  A sliding genioplasty can be performed with liposuction of neck to further enhance contour and profile.  A liquid diet is required for 48 hours then a soft diet is recommended for 10 days.  Typically, the first appointment after surgery is typically in 48-72 hours.

     Remember if you're considering chin enhancement it is always wise to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with maxillofacial surgery techniques.  Best wishes.

You need an evaluation of your jaw to determine what is happening.

You will need a clinical evaluation of your jaw to determine what is happening and what the best course of action may be. From your description, it seems that you may have a pathology of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ). You should seek out an evaluation from an orthodontist or an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the temporomandibular joint. However, this cannot be determined by a short description and a photo only. Please seek evaluation from an experienced physician to determine your jaw dysfunction. In order to address your protruding chin, a reduction surgery may be indicated. During the reduction osteotomy, the surgeon will be able to make the chin shorter, which would reduce the profile. I recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for a comprehensive examination and to determine your best course of treatment. 

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Chin Reduction

I can not speak to your jaw concerns just based on pictures and your description. If you have a maloccluision this may need to be addressed by orthodontics and possible surgery. But I don't think your jaw is 'broken'. For your protruding chin you need an intraoral t-shaped reduction osteotomy approach to make it vertically shorter and more narrow.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.