To add or remove? (Photos)

I had my top lip injected with 1.5 ml juvederm in my upper lip 3 days ago. Now it looks much bigger than my bottom lip. It looks nice when I smile but otherwise it looks a bit ridiculous. Should I add filler to my bottom lip or remove from the top? Or do I wait to see if it settles down a bit more?

Filler to Lips takes 2 weeks to settle

I find that filler in the lips takes a good two weeks to settle.  It's best to wait that time and then re-evaluate.  Lips that are proportionate really do look the best. 

Swelling after lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Size of lips

Thank you for your question D.Anita. Juvederm is a dermal filler that can be used to enhance the lips. The ideal ratio of the size of the upper lip to the lower lip is 1:1.618. This number is called phi. However, this ratio can vary from one culture to another. When I use Juvederm to enhance the lips, I try to achieve such a ratio. For some people one lip is much smaller than the other and in these cases more filler in injected into the smaller lip with the goal of a harmonious balance. That being said, swelling after a filler treatment can last up to two weeks. Application of cold compresses such as ice packs can minimize swelling. I have my patients return to the office two weeks after a treatment to assess their results. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Lip enhancement

The upper lip is way too big and out of proportion.Wait till all the swelling is gone then re-evaluate.The ratio of the upper lip to the lower lip should be 1/3 upper lip 2/3 lower lip

Add or remove lip filler

I think the top lip is way over injected and even with time it won't subside to a reasonable size. Wait 10 days from the injection and then go back to your doctor and discuss things. I would probably remove the product from the upper lip, at least partial, with hyaluronidase.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler #juvederm

It can take up to 7 days for the swelling to resolve.  You will need to re-evaluate how everything looks at that point.  The upper lip should not be larger than the bottom, generally speaking.  So if your lip continues to stay this way, then yes, I would remove.  But likely this is all just swelling that will go down.  Icing and anti-histamines are helpful.  Be well.

Estee Williams, MD

Juvederm in lips

Wait a couple of weeks for the swelling and inflammation to resolve.  You want your lower lip to be larger than your upper.  If not, you can add some filler to the lower lip - if you like the size of the upper.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm swelling

Thank you for your question.Since you only had the injection 3 days ago, there is still some significant swelling. I recommend waiting at least 1-2 weeks before embarking on another procedure. Once the swelling resolves, you will then see the end result. At that point, you do have the option of making the lower lip bigger or reducing the upper lip, based on what you see. Best of luck to you...