Breast Implants Second Surgery, Three Months and Half Ago. Does Smoking 3 Cigarette Sticks Affect Outcome of Surgery?

I am non smoker i only smoked in my life for one year and the box lasted two weeks or more. I have smoked three cigarrete sticks, one last week and one yesterday and the other one today. I feel my breasts a little harder than ussual and i am very consistent with the massage right now i do it once a day. I dont know if it is my mind because the first surgery didnt work. But is it possible that smoking those three cigarretesmare causing a capsular contracture??? i am freaking out, please help.

Smoking and BA

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants. Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.
In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Smoking and breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Smoking before or after your surgery can increase your risk of developing complications including infection and wound healing problems. I tell my patients that it is ideal to stop a couple months ahead of surgery and then for a couple months after surgery. Please discuss with your surgeon what their guidelines are for your particular surgery.

Capsular Contracture From Smoking

Smoking puts you at a higher risk of experiencing skin loss and poor wound healing, but it has not been associated with capsular contracture. Infection has been related to the development of CC (and smoking can increase your risk of infection).

Breast implants second surgery, three months and half agi. Does smoking 3 cigarett sticks affect outcome?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mastopexy where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.  There is no known literature supporting tobacco use and capsular contracture.  Follow-up with your surgeon and discuss your issues as well as potential treaments.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Smoking and Capsular Contracture

There is no evidence that smoking causing capsular contracture.  Smoking will tend to cause problems with wound healing.

Smoking

there is no correlation between cigarette smoking and capsular contracture. smoking however will delay wound healing

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

3 cigarettes and capsular contracture

Your details are a bit sketchy, it is unclear when you have revision surgery.  3 cigarettes should not be a significant issue.

Does Smoking 3 Cigarette Sticks Affect Outcome of Surgery?

Extremely unlikely. The main problems with cigarettes are due to decreased blood supply due to the nicotine effect narrowing small arteries, and this is a serious and real risk in lifting operations (Face lift, tummy tuck, breast lift) but hardly of any consequence in most other plastic surgery procedures.Three days is long enough, time to calm down.