I am interested in labiaplasty. (photos)

I am 43 years old and have been dealing with the discomfort of having large labia since puberty. I had 3 vaginal deliveries and at this point my vagina definately needs a makeover. I am in interested in labiaplasty. I am interested to have consultations and would like to know how much it would cost for labiaplasty using wedge method vs. trim method? And how much would it cost with clitoral hood reduction or without? I am in Colorado. Thanks!

Labiaplasty questions

are quite valid... and the best technique for you will be determined by your goals and what is found on your exam.  Your lower labia appear quite short and may necessitate using a trim method versus the wedge.  Costs for the procedure are the same, regardless of which procedure you choose.  Adding on a hood reduction will add some to the cost of the procedure.  If you were willing to travel to Northern California, this could be done for you for approximately $2500 but you also have to factor in the costs of travel and lodging.  Its always recommended to have it done locally if at all possible.

Labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora are not massively enlarged. A labiaplasty must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Interestedi n Labiaplasty

Hi Monami2,

I would recommend that you visit a Board certified plastic surgeon in you area to discuss the options that are best for you. The cost may vary depending on the technique that is used and where you would like to have the procedure done ( OR with a general anesthetic or in the office with a local anesthetic). Most of my patients choose to have the procedure done in the office where it is more low key and calm than in a hospital environment. They also like the idea of an all female staff which again is more comfortable for most women.

Please check out your options with a surgeon who does many of these procedures and ask to see before and after photos.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you are a good candidate for labiaplasty. Cost varies from surgeon to surgeon and region to region. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation and quote.

Interested in labiaplasty

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter. 

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Vaginal Makeover

Hi monami2,
Thanks for sharing you photos. You can definitely have a different looking vagina by having a Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction. Make sure you don't go for the cheaper prices which could indicate someone is just starting out and are looking for work or they may be luring you in for other cosmetic procedures with a cheap Labiaplasty. Go with a Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon that you can see does good work and that you feel comfortable with and have confidence in.  Read their testimonials. Talk to their patients. This will get you on the road to healing the best. 

Dr. Jennifer Hayes, DO, FACOOG
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Labiaplasty after pregnancy

Women often experience a change in the appearance of the vagina after giving birth. Most often this involves an enlargement of the labia minora or inner lips of the vagina. With stretching of these inner lips it can also bring down the tissue around the clitoris which can both cause a less tight appearance and decrease the sensation of the area. Surgery for these areas, labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction, can be easily performed in the office with oral sedation. We place a topical cream on the areas before injection of local anesthesia so there really is no pain at all. I do a typical wedge resection of the labia and extend this upwards toward the clitoris but running beside it on each side . This adequately tightens and smooths the entire area. Most women gain gain a lot of self confidence after this procedure and sensation is often improved as well. Cost of the procedures varies tremendously both by area of the country and by surgeon. Surgery performed in a certified office operating room is most often less expensive than in a hospital. Total cost at present for surgery in my operating room is posted as a special on RealSelf. Please review it there. Good luck with your decision.

Labiaplasty cost

Thank you for your question and photos. Cost of labiaplasty varies depending on if it is performed in the OR or in the office. We are able to keep cost down by performing labiaplasty surgery in the office, under oral sedation. You can see specific pricing at the link below. 

I am interested in labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your desire to pursue surgery.  You can anticipate a nice reduction and more symmetrical pairing of your labia minora through surgery and can taper these results into a small clitoral hood reduction if the area troubles you.  Costs will vary widely based on surgeon experience and the exact procedures selected, so see a number of labiaplasty surgeons to have the best idea of costs.  Best wishes.

If your lifelong dream was to have a labiaplasty, don't blow it by going for the cheapest bargain basement surgery you can find

If you want a high quality labiaplasty done expertly, go see an expert in labiaplasty. The choice of procedure has nothing to do with your budget and everything to do with your goals. How much of the labia do you wish treated? What's your aesthetic goal? If you can't afford it, finance it. If you can't finance it, save up. Feel free to contact me privately for pricing.