Is This Ptosis? (photo)

I would like to know if you think I have ptosis on my right eye? Or what would you called it. I hate that one of my eyes look more awake than the other. Is there any inexpensive way to fix this?

Doctor Answers 7

Eyelid ptosis

Your interpalpebral distance is 1 milimeter less on your left eye. So you do have minimal ptosis of that eye. What is more noticable is the supratarsal fold , the left fold is higher and not as well formed as the fold on the right. You need to see a plastic surgeon who does eyelids and ptosis surgery frequently. Surgery could make it worse.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Lid ptosis

You have signs to suggest ptosis and it would be best to see a local plastic or oculoplastic surgeon to be evaluated and a plan formulated for you.  You do have great eyes!

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Unilateral upper eyelid ptosis

It is difficult to tell if you have ptosis from a still photograph but you do have some features of ptosis of your left eye.  The supratarsal crease is higher on this side and the upper lid margin is covering about 4 mm of your iris.  This could be due to many factors and a full eye exam is the next step in understanding your problem.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Ptosis or a high supratarsal fold?

Hi Linda,  Your eyelids are at about the same position in this photograph.  I think your right eye has a greater upper lid skin excess than your left.  The left supratarsal fold is high, and this may be due to a variety of causes. There are also a  variety of ways to fix the problem.  See a plastic surgeon for a compete exam and discussion of your options.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Diagnosis of ptosis

You do have ptosis, but of the LEFT eye. You can see fewer pupillary light reflexes on that side and the crease above your eyelid is higher on that side. The good news is that insurance usually covers the repair. Make sure you see a facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon who has experience with this technique.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Ptosis of one eye

It is hard to tell but you may have ptosis of your right eye. The supra tarsal crease is certainly higher on that side. See an ophthalmologist for a complete exam. This can be fixed.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Is This Ptosis?

Over the internet is not where you should be seeking a diagnosis. Best to see an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye examination including visual fields, lid function tests. The possible diagnosis are Lid lag (lagohthalmus), genetic ptosis (due to congenital paresis of the levitator structures or cranial nerve issue), traumatic/environmental ptosis. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.