Do I Have Eye Ptosis? (photo)

my left eye has been like this for as long as i can remember, not something that just started happening recently, i am 26 now. Is surgery my only option? Thanks

Doctor Answers 9

Eyelid ptosis

In general, surgery is necessary to correct ptosis of the eyelid. I would recommend consulting with a board certified oculoplastic surgeon, as he/she will be able to examine your eyes in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews


It is very hard to tell from this photo; but assuming you are not blinking, it looks like you do, more on the left than on the right.  

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Eyelid Ptosis

There are a couple of issues here.  There is a lack of the upper eyelid crease as well as ptosis, both of which contribute to your asymmetry.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Congenital ptosis

It does appears you have upper eyelid ptosis, left more than right. That is likely congenital for you, due to weak levator muscle. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation and treatment options.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews


 It does appear from the photograph that ptosis is present in both eyes with the left being worse than the right. Important to see oculoplastic surgeon Who is well versed in ptosis repair for best results.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Eyelid Ptosis

Yes, you appear to have bilateral eyelid ptosis with the left worse than the right and surgery is the only option. See an Occuloplastic surgeon with significant experience in this and Asian eyelids. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Upper eyelid ptosis may be diagnosed by an ophthalmologist.

Upper eyelid ptosis is when your eyelid margin is too low. Based on your limited photo which shows your left eyelid lower than your right, you may in fact have ptosis. A diagnosis could be confirmed by an ophthalmologist, and repair performed by a reputable oculoplastic surgeon.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 418 reviews


You have ptosis.  Surgery can correct this and surgery is really the only effective option for your issue.



Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Eyelid surgery

You appear to have ptosis of the left upper lid. It may be due to muscle weakness on that side and can be corrected. I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist that has experience with this procedure.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.