Is This Eyelid Ptosis and What are My Options? (photo)

I'm almost 24 years old male and I've been having this since birth as I've seen some of my previous photo albums. Most of the times on photos it looks like I have lazy eyes, though I don't have any difficulties with my vision. Does this qualifies for "ptosis" and if it does please tell me what should i do, since it's pretty nerve-wrecking for the self-confidence. Thank you very much for the help!

Doctor Answers 7

Yes you demonstrate upper eyelid ptosis.

It is likely that upper eyelid ptosis surgery can make you look more alert.  The key is finding the right surgeon.  You should look for an appropriately trained ophthalmologist who is also fellowship trained in eyelid plastic surgery or oculoplastic surgery.  They can carefully assess your situation and determine which of the many surgical approaches it right for you.  As you can tell from the responses here, it is important to see someone who actually understands upper eyelid ptosis.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


Hello Wonder22,  it does appear that you have a mild ptosis problem on both sides.  The first picture looks worse than the other 3.  Do you have variability in your eyelid position?  If significant, that may be something to have evaluated as well, and can be associated with muscle disorders such as Myasthenia Gravis.  I'd recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon for a full eye and eyelid examination to ascertain what your specific options are.  Surgery may be one of them.

Good luck

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD

Tampa Bay, Florida

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Is This Eyelid Ptosis and What are My Options? (photo)

Yes this does seem to be eyelid ptosis.  Ptosis surgery is complicated and the surgery required will depend on the type of ptosis.  Therefore, you should see an Oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate the ptosis and give you your options.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Droopy lids (ptosis)

Yes, you do have slight bilateral upper eyelid ptosis (droopy), which are likely congenital in your case.  You have the classical "bedroom eyes" appearance.  Ptosis surgery can lift your upper eyelids and make you appear more alert and awake.  There are different types of ptosis surgery techniques. Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Upper lid ptosis treatment

It would certainly appear that you have bilateral upper lid ptosis.  If this has been present since your childhood years, it often is referred to as juvenile ptosis.  Certain medical conditions need to be ruled out, most notably myasthenia gravis.  There is a medical treatment for this condition, and your Opthalmologist can help make this diagnosis, as well as a Neurologist.  The juvenile ptosis condition can be surgically treated by both Oculoplastic Surgeons as well as Plastic Surgeons .  Always obtain several opinions from your local "experts" and then make your decision.


Good luck to you.

Eyelid ptosis, blepharoplasty and surgical correction

you may have mild ptosis, but what do you want to correct?

if you are not happy with the appearance of "bedroom eyes"  then see an oculoplastic surgeon to have the lid function and position evaluated.     

you can then make decisions on whether surgery will be of help and worth the risks

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Eyelid Ptosis

From the photographs you have submitted and your short history, it does appeat that you have a mild - moderate case of congenital ptosis, the medical condition of weak eyelid opening muscles. I would recommend a consultation with an Oculoplastic Surgeon, who specializes in this problem, near you.

Good luck! 

John H. Hunts MD, PhD
Eugene Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.