Ptosis or Exta Skin?

I have always had drooping in my left eyelid (present in pictures from when i was a child). However, up until it never really gave me trouble other than cosmetic. Now at 24 years old, I feel it may be worsening. Recently, I have been having headaches (on that side) and discomfort and more of on overall puffy feeling on that eyelid. Also, the conditions seem to degrade with fatigue. Basically, I'd like to know if I should see a doctor? Can it be corrected with surgery?

Doctor Answers 5

Ptosis or Exta Skin?

It sounds like you should see an Oculoplastic surgeon to determine whether surgery will help you.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Eyelid Ptosis versus Extra Skin

It can be a little confusing to determine if you have eyelid drooping, or ptosis, or if you have extra eyelid skin weighing down the eyelid. Typically, if the problem was present at a young age, it is less likely to be extra skin and more likely to be eyelid heaviness called congenital ptosis. This problem can be improved with surgery and is easily evaluated by an eye plastic surgeon or even an ophthalmologist. Depending on the degree of eyelid movement, there are different surgical treatments that may be recommended.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Eyelid droop

There are congenital (meaning born with it) reasons for eyelid droop as well as medical (treated with medication) and surgical (treated with surgery) conditions. To determine which you have, and to explore whether the headaches are related, you should see your internist or family doctor and an ophthalmologist. They can refer you to a surgeon if it is indicated.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Ptosis or Exta Skin?

I would definitely advise that you see your primary care physician first to determine the cause of your headaches, fatigue and eyelid droop. They will likely refer you to an eye specialist who can determine if you have a true ptosis or lax skin in the eyelid. They can also determine if you have any underlying cause for your current symptoms. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

Ptosis or extra eyelid skin?

You really would need to be examined (or at least see pictures) to try and determine what might be going on with your eyes.  I would recommend seeing a doctor to determine if your problem is strictly cosmetic or if there is a medical problem involved.  You might start with an eye doctor (ophthalmologist).  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.