How long should I expect molar with root canal & new crown to hurt? I am getting earaches as well.

I had my root canal about a month ago that was caused by a large pulp stone. i had a lot of pain after that first procedure. Then it still hurt with temp crown. My new permanent crown was put on Tuesday and now 3 days later I'm in terrible pain! I am getting horrible ear aches and almost every tooth on that side of my mouth hurts! What is happening?!

Doctor Answers 2

Pain after crown placed and before ... #DrSarahThompson #STL

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you may need an adjustment of the crown or the opposing tooth.  This type of pain is seen when the crown is too high and hitting against the other teeth.  It can tend to make the whole side of the mouth sore.  I would recommend giving your dentist a call and kindly asking him to have you come in for a possible adjustment.  This doesn't mean that the dentist did something wrong, it just means that when the crown was made, it may have been a fraction of a millimeter to high.  That fraction can feel like a mile, pain-wise.  I hope this helps and I hope you feel better.  You can click "save" below my name to follow me on RealSelf if you have more questions down the road.

It may not be a tooth related issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about your pain.  There could be multiple causes to your pain.  Your root canal might not have been successful.  For example, a canal might have been missed especially if the tooth is an upper molar.  If this is the case, you might have to redo your root canal.  I usually would not suggest cementing a permanent crown on a tooth that is still symptomatic.   This is if the pain is coming from that tooth.  However, if you're having pain on "almost every tooth on that side of your mouth", it might be more than just a tooth related pain.  It could be a TMJ issue or something else.  I would definitely suggest that you have it check with your dentist or get a second opinion from a dentist, who specialized in oral medicine.  I wish you good luck!

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.