Who does symmastia revisions and accepts insurance?

I love my doctor, however the facility he is at refuses to take my insurance. I've had pain for months and there is tenting. I already know I need the revision, I just need to find someone (preferably in the northeast) who can do this. My insurance (BCBS) understands that this is now medically necessary to revise as I am in pain, I just need a confirmation letter from a doctor and they will cover me 90%. I will of course pay the other 10%. I'm only 22, can't afford this any other way. Help.

Doctor Answers 2


You will need to search for a surgeon.  If you have out of network benefits, this might be easier.  You can go to the ASPS or ASAPS website  to look for someone in your area.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Who does symmastia revisions and accepts insurance?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.

  Although I cannot provide you with specific names, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. 

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.


Keep in mind, that successful revisionary of this type does require some experience;  I am hopeful that you will find a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon ( who still works with insurance companies).

You may find the attached link/video helpful to you as you learn more.

Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,486 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.