Will PRP potentially make my hair go into a shedding? (photos)

Looking for front middle, right, and left growth without issue of loss. 

Probably not

I have never seen this as a side effect of prp injections.  Its not to say it couldn't happen, but probably will not.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

HD-PRP and Shock Loss

Hello Sir,

Here is a simple response. To this excellent question.

HD-PRP is a recent hair restoration therapy that was first described by Dr. Carlos Ubell of Brazil in the medical literature; it has gained popularity as a regenerative treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia and Female Pattern Hair Loss. Scalp trauma, introducing tumescence fluid or Lidocaine into the scalp, or even stress can cause a hair follicle to go from its anagen phase of the hair growth cycle to the Telogen phase.  It is not uncommon.  It is referred to by many as “shock loss.”   It may occur 1-2 weeks after a single treatment with High Density Platelet Rich Plasma (HD-PRP) treatment, or any procedure that causes trauma to scalp.

To extend the conversation on HD-PRP, over 15 published studies on the success of HD-PRP are found in the medical literature.  Evidence supports HD-PRP therapy as a promising treatment option to promote hair growth.

While HD-PRP is in the early stages of scientific research in hair restoration, PRP is not meant to replace current FDA approved therapies such as DHT blockers and Minoxidil. Plateletts contain specific growth factors that assist in tissue regeneration and healing. Published medical literature from Europe and the United States confirms the safety of HD-PRP therapy. It has been used a medial adjunct therapy for over two decades for skin and wound healing.

Finally, not all PRP treatments are the same. Some PRP systems only concentrate platelets to 2-3 times baseline values.  The platelet density is required to be 5 X the baseline platelet value to be effective. Our office certifies platelet concentration by in office CBC counts. 

PRP and shock loss; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion, the percentage of people who develop shock loss after PRP is extremely low. This type of hair loss is believed to be due to edema. For this reason I recommend subdermal injections and using my Depo injection technique. Find a PRP expert.

PRPHAIRMD.COM 

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon