Hello; I had liposuction, a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and fat transfer to my hips. Any suggestions?

I am 6 months into the surgery but the area of the ribs where I had lipo done still feels hard and also and more worrying is that I have this pink/ red/ brown marks that still remain even after skin bruising is long gone. Can anyone please advise?! Is there anything I should be doing for these marks to go away. I spent money to improve my body image and I am very frustrated about the results so far. :-(

Mommy Makeover Post Op

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover Recovery in Melbourne, FL.

Thank you for your question about your recovery after Mommy Makeover procedures including tummy tuck, breast augmentation, liposuction, and fat transfer.  It is certainly possible for the skin to have discoloration long after surgical procedures, which may or may not resolve on its own.  Unfortunately, this can be frustrating for everyone.  The area in general certainly can remain swollen and firm for quite sometime as scar tissue will form under the skin after liposuction as well.  Definitely, follow up closely with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after surgery

It is difficult to ascertain what will help improve the marks you mention without an examination.  It is best to visit with your surgeon for his/her opinion on the matter and potential treatment for the areas of concern.

Camille Cash, MD

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. It is wise to add a few photos to your inquiry so that we can give you better feedback. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Liposuction, tummy tuck, breast augmentation and fat transfer

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • I am sorry you are frustrated with your result -
  • You had a lot done and I certainly hope you are seeing results.
  • The area over the ribs can stay swollen and hard for a long time and may take longer to fully subside.
  • The skin discoloration may need to be treated with lasers if surgery led to small dilated veins.
  • I suggest you return to your surgeon for a 6 month check,r eview your before after photos and have a referral for treatment of your skin if and as needed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC