I'm having gynecomastia removed in the fall & want to maximize my results by conditioning the skin and body. Any suggestion?

I am planning on starting to apply Tretonin to the skin area now so that I have a few months for it to work improving my skin. I am also supplimenting with Lysine to further support collogen/elastin prduction triggered by the retinoid. I currently suppliment with BCAA and Glutamine as part of my weightloss and gym routine. I have 4 months until surgery and would like to know what medical perfessionals think of my strategy. Thank you!

Preparing for Gynecomastia Surgery

The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you. Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation. Also, Its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment.

Gynecomastia Providence RI

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Preparing for surgery

It sounds like you are doing correct things. I would recommend letting your surgeon know exactly which supplements and vitamins you are taking because he/she may want you to stop some of them before your procedure. Also, be sure to ask about post-operative skin and wound care. Follow all instructions and you should have a great result. Best of luck.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery

You sound like a man who takes care of himself and will be a great patient.  It is very important to stay healthy with good nutrition to prepare for surgery.  Consider having a physical with lab work done prior to surgery to assure that you are in great shape.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD