Can These Procesdures Be Performed Under Local Anesthesia?

Hello Doctors,I wanted to know if a endoscopic browlift,mini facelift,cheek implants and eyelid surgery can be performed under local anesthesia? Everybody is mentioning less bruising and less recovery time when procedures are performed without general anesthesia. Just would like some opinions on what is safer for all of these proedures. Also can liposuction be performed under local if its the only procedure to be performed? Thanks for all your help.

IMHO and I perform all of these procedures, the Brow Lift and the Cheek Implants should not be done under a local anesthetic as they will be uncomfortable to you during lifting up of the periostium.

Anesthesia Used During Surgical Facial Procedures

#Facelifts and ancillary procedures are usually performed as #outpatient in a surgery center. A one night stay in post-operative care facility may be advisable in some cases. But, local #anesthetic combined with intravenous sedation is usually used. This will allow the patient to sleep through most of the procedure. General anesthesia is available upon request however is usually not necessary.
The Lite-lift™ is generally performed with a local anesthetic and medication by mouth, which will keep you comfortable during the procedure and allow for an easier recovery.
For more information about Lite-lift™, I welcome you to visit my website link provided below.

Can These Procedures Be Performed Under Local Anesthesia?

Most facial cosmetic surgical procedures can be performed under local anesthesia. Sometimes the local anesthesia is combined with an oral medication to help you relax. However, local anesthesia implies that you are conscious, perhaps sleepy or even sleeping but you are arousable. General anesthesia is a controlled state of unconsciousness. You are not awake or arousable and as a result your airway needs to be protected. This creates an additional risk. My preference is to perform facial cosmetic surgery under local anesthesia to avoid the additional risk of general anesthesia. Many clients are medically unable to undergo general anesthesia for an elective cosmetic procedure. Achieving the optimal balance of risk/safety and results is key for any elective procedure. Liposuction also can be performed under local anesthesia but sometimes requires a higher level of sedation that may include intravenous sedation or twilight anesthesia. Generally, the avoidance of general anesthesia may help with an expedited recovery but generally it is still appropriate to anticipate some time needed to recover depending on which procedures are planned.

Local anesthesia alone likely not a good idea for all of these procedures

Thank you for the question.  Your total surgery time will be from 4-6 hrs depending on the extent of the procedures you are having.  I would recommend at least IV sedation (asleep but breathing on your own) in addition to local anesthesia.  Most plastic surgeons place local anesthesia to reduce bleeding as well as to provide comfort.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Multiple Facial Procedures under Local

An endoscopic browlift, mini facelift, cheek implants and eyelid surgery will be more comfortably performed under general anesthesia.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Procedures performed under local anesthesia

With all of the procedures being performed, such as a brow lift, facelift, cheek implants, and eyelid surgery, it should be done under general anesthesia by a board certified physician anesthesiologist.  The amount of pain and discomfort would most likely be more than most patients could tolerate and for patient safety reasons it is best to be placed under general anesthesia.  The anesthesia itself has no correlation to the healing process or bruising, it is simply there for patient safety and comfort.

Any operation can be performed under local anesthesia but most of the time that is a not the best choice.

I suppose you could almost any operation with local anesthesia and a lot of patience.  However, in this age of very safe sedation and general anesthesia, it makes no sense.  I do a number of procedures with local only but this is done with careful consideration of the extent of the operation and the patient's ability to deal with some discomfort.

Yes..

In my practice I performed all my surgeries from including hair transplants, eye lift surgeries, brow lift, face lift, cheek implants as well as body procedures including breast augmentation, reduction, liposuction, and tummy tucks under local anesthesia with sedation.
In my opinion, its debatable regarding the recovery time when procedure is done under general anesthesia.  It’s been my experience that people who have cosmetic surgery under general anesthesia actually have a longer recovery time compared to the approach which I use.
The recovery period is a function of both the surgical procedure and the anesthesia provided. It stands to reason that well executed surgery with minimal anesthesia allows for the most comfortable recovery.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Choices for Facial Aesthetic Surgery

First off, I do not think the type of anesthesia influences either the recovery time or the amount of bruising. Although it is possible to do all of these procedures under local anesthesia - your comfort is the most important concern. You will have to lie still for hours and you will be aware in many cases of injections. For procedures more than 3-4 hours I would recommend IV sedation or a general anesthesia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cosmetic surgery under local anesthesia

It is possible to perform these procedures under local anesthesia. However, it really depends on the individual circumstances of the patient. During a consultation with your surgeon, he/she will be able to explain the best method of anesthesia based on your needs. And if liposuction is the only procedure performed, local anesthesia can be used. Thanks and I hope this helps answer your questions.

Paul S. Nassif, MD