I'm scheduled for Revision Rhinoplasty in ten days. I've had a recurring breakout on my face and the dermatologist cultured it last week-- lab reports show it's gram negative bacteria called "Acinetobacter," also a nasal swab culture indicated "Enterobacter aerogenes." Dermatologist put me on Cipro for both. Should I postpone the rhinoplasty until the bacteria is resolved? I'm very worried! Should I see an infectious disease specialist about these strange "bugs?"
Should I Proceed with Rhinoplasty with a Bacterial Infection on Face?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 7
Risk of Facial Bacterial Infection Prior to Rhinoplasty
You and your physicians will ultimately make the decision about doing the rhinoplasty despite positive bacterial cultures, but I would not do the operation until the infection was eliminated. Although very unlikely, an infection of the nasal bones would require several weeks of IV antibiotics to treat the osteomyelitis. Why take any chances?
Treat infection before having Rhinoplasty
I'd follow the Dermatologist's advice about seeing an ID MD for this infection, but no need to risk spreading anything to your nose by having a Rhinoplasty. IMHO, it's safest to wait a few weeks after everything is cleared up before having the Rhinoplasty.
I would recommend that you make sure that your infection is fully treated prior to proceeding with Rhinoplasty. Elective cosmetic surgery is not appropriate when such a negative variable is in play.
You might also like...
Get care for the infection and make sure it is cleared up. I would want you to be off antibiotics and asymptomatic for at least 3 to 6 weeks before a rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty and Bacterial Infection
It is generally not wise to proceed with any elective cosmetic operation when a bacterial infection is present. You have one type of bacteria from the nasal swab that is not a normal contaminant of the nose and could cause a nasal infection in the area of the rhinoplasty. And if you also have a bacterial infection of the face that is not yet controlled, it, too, could lead to a nasal infection. I'd let your rhinoplasty surgeon know about this; he probably will want to postpone your nasal surgery until the infections are gone.
Rhinoplasty and Facial Infection Pre-operatively
It is unwise to have a rhinoplasty if you have a facial infection. That situation will lead to a high chance of getting an infection of your rhinoplasty.
Treat the facial infection first. Then, only after it is full resolved and re-evaluated by our board certified plastic surgeon should the rhinoplasty be performed.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.