What Procedure Would Be Best After Pregnancy: Tummy Tuck or Liposculpture?

After 3 pregnancys i weight 135lb and I'm 5'5. I'm thinking of getting a tummy tuck, but peple tell me I would be a better candidate for a Liposculpture abdominal? I do have stretch mark in my abdominal area.

What procedure is best after pregnancy?

This will vary form person to person.  The best is for you to have a consultation.  A tummy tuck may get rid of most of the stretch marks.  And if you have some fat lipo in your flanks, a little lipo may be of great help in achieving a much nicer figure.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposculpture

Liposculpture will not improve stretchmarks or the quality of the skin.  Liposuction will also not address muscle laxity.  If these are concerns of yours, then a tummy tuck is a better solution to your problems.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs HUNDREDS of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction vs. Tummy tuck after Pregnancy.

Often women will have changes in their abdominal contour after pregnancy.  If it is a problem of too much fat, then liposuction, (liposculpture), may be an option.  If there is redundant skin, then abdominoplasty, (tummy tuck), may be the better choice.  Often the rectus muscles will stretch out with pregnancy.  A plication of the muscles at the time of the abdominoplasty can address this.

Best to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Together, you will come up with a plan for your goals.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

-- Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

When is liposculpture the best procedure?

When is liposculpture the best procedure? When I select a patient for liposculpture I look for someone who:

1. is at their ideal body weight
  2. exercises regularly and eats a healthy diet
  3. despite #1 and #2 doesn't have that sculpted, athletic look
  4. have healthy skin with minimal stretch marks

Often after pregnancy your muscles become stretched out and a tummy tuck may be more beneficial because the muscles are sewn together to flatten the profile of the abdomen

Liposculpture is different than liposuction.  In my Salt Lake City, Utah plastic surgery office I perform all of the above; liposuction, liposculpture, and tummy tucks.  It is probably in your best interest to find someone that performs all of them so that they can guide you to select the best procedure for your individual problem.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Abdplasty vs. lipo

Without seeing photos it is impossible to advise you in your particular circumstance.  If you have significant stretch marks and skin that creates folds, you are probably a better candidate for the tummy tuck.  In general, a tummy tuck will give you a flatter abdomen than lipo alone, but it does involve a large scar and is a longer recovery.  You may want to resubmit you question along with photos and I think you will get better feedback regarding what would work best for you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

The answer to your question depends on how much extra skin you have.  Liposuction only removes the excess fat.  If you need removal of skin, fat, and muscle tightening, then a tummy tuck can give you more benefit.

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for consultation. Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposculpture or tummy tuck

Difficult to say without seeing you in person to determine the degree of loose skin you might have. In cases like yours where there are stretch marks, you can prepare yourself for the skin area that has those stretch marks not to shrink well after liposculpture as the skin has been damaged and has lost its ability to shrink.

Julio Garcia, MD

A tummy tuck is the best option.

Your weight is basically normal, and after having 3 children with stretch marks, in my hands, a tummy tuck with perhaps a little lipo will do the trick. Obviously, I would need to see you and do an evaluation inorder to know for sure.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Best procedure after pregnancy?

Thank you for your question.  Without photos this is a difficult question to answer, however, given the fact that you have had three children and you are concerned about stretch marks I think that if would be safe to say that you would benefit most from a tummy tuck. Make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon as they will be the best person to tell you what operation is going to give you the results you are after. 

Donald M. Brown, MD (retired)