Procedure to Minimize Puffy Cheeks?

I am 30 yrs. old and have been doing research and finally discovered that the puffy things above my cheeks are malar mounds. I would like to know what my options are to get rid of them or minimize them.

They are very visible and changing how I look (don't recall them being this bad 10 yrs ago). Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated both surgical and non-surgical.

Doctor Answers 2

Malar mounds could be festoons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The minimal mounds that you are describing are probably called festoons based on your description. There is really not much treatment for them other than a low-salt diet and to make sure the allergies are under control. If festoons get big enough they can be surgically excised in the orbital facial junction through. If there is an underlying flat cheek or hypoplasia of the malar bone, a cheek implant can be inserted to further augment the cheek area to try to camouflage the malar mounds.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Lipo may help but be careful

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Liposuction done with very fine cannulas can be performed for cheek fullness. You have to be very careful not to over-do it because sunken cheeks can make you look older. This may become more important when you get older when you may lose the pleasing volume to the face and wish you hadn't done the liposuction when you were 30.

If the prominence is due to the cheek bones themselves, and not fat, they can be reduced.

I am unaware of any nonsurgical procedure that would help.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.