Which Procedure for Pubic Area? (photo)

I am a 40 yo mom of 2 kids (c-sections). I am very healthy, 5'7", 158 pounds. I'm in the process of losing weight and have 13 lbs to go. I absolutely hate the chubby area around my pubic bone. It is quite embarrassing and noticeable is all clothing, especially bathing suits, but even jeans. As you can see from the photos, my c-section scar is also bumpy, but my biggest concern is the mons. Would a tummy tuck be the only way to go or are there other procedures that would be effective? Thank you!

Update: Photos added

Doctor Answers 15

Pubic mound reduction and monsplasty in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in monsplasty procedures using liposuction to reduce the 'camel toe' and decrease the size of the mons pubis.


Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Pubic Fullness and a prominent Mons addressed during Tummy Tuck with a pubic-lift

A prominent mons can cause many problems with the fit of clothing and is a significant area of concern for many women who have had children or undergone large massive weight-loss.  Occasionally, when drooping of the mons is not a concern, simple liposuction can alleviate the problem.  But more often, there is some skin laxity in the pubic area in addition to the fullness.  In such cases, a pubic-lift is performed at the time of the tummy tuck surgery.  The tummy tuck incision is kept low (which allows for a lift of the mons by removing excess skin).  If there is excess fullness after this is done, liposuction of the mons is performed during the same operation. Bottom line, with some planning with your surgeon, you should be able to have the problem corrected. RB

Ramin Behmand, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Mons pubis lipo would be a reasonable option for your shape

The deciding factor would be whether you want to achieve a tight look or merely a deflated look. Many women opt for a combo of lipo and mons lift tightening to treat fullness and achieve tightness at the same time. A tummy tuck would only be required if you want the rest of your abdomen tightened at the same time.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

The answer is in the eye of the beholder

Congratulations on your weight loss.

The answer to your question is based on what you want to achieve.
If the mons is what bothers you, then resection and possibly liposuction to the area should be the answer to your concerns.

If the belly has a stronger presence in your concerns, then a tummy tuck will be the solution. This procedure should address both of your concerns.

Caution: wait until you are done with your weight loss. This will give you the best perspective and final outcome.

Keep the great work.
Best luck with your process.

Tummy Tuck and Large Mons?

   The tummy tuck by itself does not resolve a bulky mons area.  Additional Liposuction of this area is necessary to debulk the area.

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

Which Procedure

Thank you for your question and for the photos. It looks like you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and Mons-plasty, which would resect some excess Mons skin and suction out some excess fat. If the abdomen does not bother you, then a lesser procedure just addressing the lower abdomen and pubic area could be done, albeit with the same incision.

Best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Tummy Tuck Combined with Mons Reduction

You would do well with a tummy tuck that is combined with liposuction of the mons and also incorporates a lift. That is marked out before surgery to include those elements as part of your tummy tuck. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Which Procedure for Pubic Area?

There are options but I recommend a short scar excision and liposuction of the pubic area. Best to obtain in person evaluations. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Procedure for pubic area

Thank you for the question and the pictures. The pubic area from the picture has excess fat and ptosis. The treatment is tummy tuck. During the procedure the the pubic area is liposuction is performed to remove the excess fat. In your case if you lose the weight you may not need to have the fat removed. The skin of the pubic area will then have to be lifted. This is performed by appropriate marking of the abdomen before the surgery were the scar is placed low in abdomen which will allow the pubic skin to move to its appropriate level. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Treatment of the mons pubis can be with a tummy tuck or lipo

Mons pubis can be treated with liposuction, however when it seems like it will leave behind excess loose skin, skin tightening is the way to go.  A tummy tuck will do that.  If you do not want to get a tummy tuck, then simply excision of the skin itself will do.

Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 469 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.