How long in OR for hernia repair, diastsis recti repair and tummy tuck?

I have heard having all three done together can take 5 hrs! This scares me-such a long time to be under! Is it possible/is it ever done where you have the hernia repaired in one surgery and then go back 6 months later and do the diastsis repair and tummy tuck in a subsequent surgery?

Hernia and tummy tuck

Without  knowing more details about your hernia, it is hard to say.  If it is an umbilical hernia and you decide to stage it, your plastic surgeon should review how the general surgeon will repair it before moving forward.  Some techniques can cause a change in the vascular supply to the umbilical stalk which can then cause problems when performing a tummy tuck.

Not all surgeons are the same

A standard Tummy tuck with small ventral hernia and rectus diastasis repair takes me 2 hours to complete the operation. Speed in surgery usually comes from skill and experience. However, I know many superb surgeons who are faster and I also know many that take twice as long. Please look for a board certified plastic surgeon who can take care of you given the parameters you are looking for. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Time in OR for Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

Thank you for your question. Abdominoplasty and hernia repair are two procedures commonly performed together. The length of time can vary based on the complexity of your hernia repair and abdominoplasty. This typically takes 3 hours. I would discuss your questions and concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon before having your surgery to be sure you feel comfortable with your treatment plan.

Tummy tuck with hernia repair

Hello and thank you for your question. These surgeries are very commonly performed together and usually take 2.5-3 hours and is very safe in a healthy patient.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

TT, Rectus Repair & Hernia Repair

All three procedures are usually performed in a single operation which takes ~ 2- 3 hours in an outpatient procedure. Hernias vary in size and location; their treatment varies depending on the size and location. Without a consultation and physical examination, it is difficult to give you more accurate information. Medical insurance may compensate for the hernia repair. Please seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

How long is surgery for hernia and tummy tuck?

In my experience (this combination of hernia repair and tummy tuck is VERY common), all of the concerns which you have can be repaired in the same operation. On average, providing that plastic mesh is not required, operation takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. When mesh is used, it usually implies a more complex hernia operation but this should not exceed an additional hour as long as your surgeon does not have to enter the abdomen and release adhesions. When the hernia repair and a tummy tuck are combined, then you have only one anesthesia instead of two and one recovery period. When you consult a surgeon,  be sure to select a Board Certified plastic surgeon with plenty of expereince conducting these operations.Tad Grenga MD, Chesapeake Virginia

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon