Previous Keloid Scarring from Earrings; are Breast Implants Safe?

Hi! I wanted breast implants since I was 12 and i'm 17 right now, in Canada you can get breast implants (saline only) from 18 years and over... I had previous keloid scarring from earrings when i got them peirced at 10 years old (but keloids developed when i was 12) If i get saline breast implants (400-500 cc, submuscular...preferably in armpit area or crease) do I have a good chance of getting keloids??

Thank you for your question!  I recommend you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon when you are 18.  It is hard to tell whether or not without a physical examination.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Keloid scars

Keloid scars tend to form in certain areas of the body.  Though you had ear lobe keloids, that should not predipose you to keloids from breast surgery.  I have seen keloids from Transaxillary incisions and would rec. a periareolar incision for you.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants are safe despite keloids

Your keloid history should not prevent you from a problem fee breast augmentation. The transaxillary approach is a good choice as this incision will out of the keloid forming zone.

Previous keloid elevates risk with breast augmentation...

Your previous keloid indicates that your have a genetic propensity to re-develop keloids.  Your choice to proceed with breast enhancement surgery must be weighed against the risk of poor visible scarring. Depending on your breast anatomy, your surgeon may be able to offer a hidden incision in the armpit, shorter length of scar with saline implantation, and adjunctive treatment such as steroid injections to the incision site after surgery, or silicone gel pad scar treatment. A thorough consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon will inform and assist your in your decisions.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon