Treatment for melasma? (Photo)

I have melasma on my face and neck and more dominant OF chick bones

Ctsteamine or Melaarase?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cysteamine is a strong agent and may cause hypopigmentation especially in daark skin.

Melasma treatments are lifelong and should be tailored for each patient.

Melarase is a great regimen to add or a Brightening Kit in its entirety.

I also recommend that you add one of two of these oral supplements for pigmentary control: Scler-X PIH Relief Complex from VenaSmart or Pigmentation Correction Complex from KareSkin.

You will need wide spectrum UV protection with SPF 30+ sunblock as well. 

H Karamanoukian MD FACS

Kareskin Brightening Kit with Melarase for melasma

I would suggest a combination protocol that includes Clear and Brilliant laser and Kareskin Brightening Kit creams with Melarase. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Facial melasma

Thank you for your question. Melasma is caused by genetic factors, hormones, and sun exposure. The most important treatment is to wear sunscreen 24/7 and to reapply in the daytime. Even indoor light can worsen melasma. It would also be helpful to wear a broad brimmed hat when outside. If you are taking any medications with hormones (birth control pills, etc) or if you are pregnant that can also worsen it. There are multiple topical medications that can help like hydroqinone cream, tretinoin, Kojic acid, etc that can be used. However, if you have 1 day of sun exposure it makes these medications useless. Some lasers like the NdYag can be used to treat melasma but it is possible to ask make it worse with a laser. Lower energy level lasers like clear and brilliant can be used for laser assisted drug delivery and can also help. I wish you the best.

Melasma Treatment--Best Treatment Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel / Aerolase w Microneedling/prp

It requires a combination approach to treat melasma.  I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for best treatment options. We currently use clear + brilliant with bleaching and microneedling/prp and getting amazing results. I suggest you see an expert. You will need lifelong treatment, sun protection, skin care. But these treatments can give you improvement and then help you maintain. Best , Dr. Emer