27 year old male requiring bilateral corrective gynecomastia crater deformities by either male pectoral implants or fat flaps

In my own research I've discovered that fat flap injections are supposed to correct this issue but would it be more advisable to have male pectoral implants to correct the deformity? Also the incisions were made adjacent to my armpits instead of around the nipple and I have some prominent scarring and nerve damage What are my options for correcting this?

Doctor Answers 6

Correcting Craters from Biliateral Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with fat grafting if eligible.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 107 reviews

Gynecomastia depressions

Fat grafting is generally the best.  Flaps and pectoral implants are not going to be very often used for this purpose. 

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Gynecomastia deformity

Gynecomastia deformity from over resection can be corrected best with fat grafting alone and not fat flaps nor implants. Please see examples of gynecomastia repairs below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

27 year old male requiring bilateral corrective gynecomastia crater deformities by either male pectoral implants or fat flaps

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about your issues after gynecomastia surgery.  Nothing replaces an in-person assessment of your chest skin quality and underlying adipose tissue, but depending on the degree of deformity, multiple corrective options exist.  If you have sufficient adipose tissue remaining, liposuction can help sculpt the remaining fat to better match the depressions caused from surgery.  This fat, in addition to that harvested elsewhere from your body, can then be used to fat graft the areas of depression to help fill in the craters.  Either technique can be used alone, but it sounds as if you may need a combination of both procedures to help get the best result.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Gynecomastia deformity

Thanks for your inquiry. Even if you provided excellent photos this type of issue requires a formal exam to assess. Only with a hands on exam can we tell what is residual fat vs. gland vs. scar tissue. Also irregular volumes or tissue densities may not make pectoral implants even an option and fat grafting might be a solution. Also the length of time since your surgery matters for some patients take over 6 months to soften and settle down enough to accurately assess. I hope this helps some, good luck.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 8 reviews


Thank you for your question but an examination is really needed to see what the problem is and how best to correct it.  So see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.