What to Prepare for After Breast Reduction, Abdominoplasty at 57?

I am 57, 5'4" approx 135. 38DD. Having reduction and mini abdominoplasty , minor lypo to flanks. What do I need to have at home to be prepared and ow long should I expect recovery to be? Surge is the 10th

Prepairing for your mommy makeover

Hello. Before a mommy makeover be sure to have all scripts filled and garments ready to be used. Having an extra garment available is recommended. A female urinal is also helpful for monitoring urine output and urinating. For at least seven days after surgery it is advised that you have someone around to assist you in everyday tasks because difficulty moving and standing are common.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

After a Mommy Makeover with Breast Reduction

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Surgery

I would recommend that you stay active after surgery with some walking even if it is around the house or apartment. Follow your surgeons instructions otherwise

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Things to have at home during the recovery from mommy makeover

The first thing you will need at home post-op after tummy tuck and breast surgery is a comfortable place to sleep in a flexed position.  This can be a recliner or a bed or couch with pillows propping you up.  I would recommend having clear liquids and easy things on your stomach available to eat or drink in case you get an upset stomach from the pain medicine.  Finally, I would recommend having some basic wound care supplied like gauze pads, neosporin ointment and gentle tape so that you can change any bandages as necessary.  Good luck!

Post operative needs

You will be pretty sore after surgery, so having some help for the first few days may be helpful.  Getting up and down from a standing or laying position may require an extra hand.  You may also want someone nearby when you shower in case you require assistance.  You'll feel much more like yourself after the first week or so.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

What to Prepare for

The most important thing to have is help. Pain and immobility is very variable, but having someone around to help for the first several days is most important. 

Discuss sleep position with your surgeon, and have at hand what you may need in the way of cushions to prop up your back and knees. 

A mini-TT can cause considerably less discomfort and temporary disability. Patients who do office work can usually be back in about a week if so motivated. Heavy physical work would require 6 weeks off. 

Good luck with your upcoming procedures. 

How to Prepare at Home after Breast Reduction and Mini-Abdominoplasty

You should have pillows to support your back and under your knees when you are in bed. You should have water and medications at the bedside. You should have someone who can help lever you up gently sideways when getting out of bed for the first few days as it will be a strain for you. Someone should empty your drains for you, if you have them. 

You will be in a supportive bra or circumferential wrap with a dressing and ace bandages. When the initial dressings are removed you may need more guaze and perhaps some antibiotic ointment to put over the incisions. Every plastic surgeon has a variation of routine on this point.

Mini-abdominoplasties have a shorter recovery time than full abdominoplasties. That is good news since you are combining it with a breast reduction, which will make you feel full and sore for the first week.

You may be surprised that the flank liposuction will make you more sore and last longer than the discomfort fom the mini tummy tuck.

Be prepared to get up and move around as much as you can. Don't stay in bed or be immobile because you want your circulation stimulated to avoid leg  blood clots. 

Don't wait too long to take your pain meds. You want to always be comfortable. If you let the pain meds wear off it takes more and longer to get comfort able again. So every 4 hours with sufficient amount as prescribed works best. The interval depends on what you are taking so ask your doctor for guidance. 

You will be up and around, probably in 3-4 days, and standing up and able to take walks or go out soon after that. Just take it easy for the first 7-10 days. Become more active or return to sedentary work usually between 8-10 days. 

Be careful not to apply heat or cold to your breasts or lower abdomen since you may have decreased skin feeling. You don't want to risk a cold injury or burn. This has happened. I think heat or cold does not make you heal faster anyway.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast reduction, tummy tuck and liposuction

Hi

Speed of recovery depends on the extent of surgery and amount of tissue removed, as well as your general fitness and any other medical conditions. 

In general, I would expect a recovery period of at least 4-6 weeks after this combination of procedures. You will need a lot of help with the daily activities for the first 1-2 weeks, and some help for 4-6 weeks. It may take 8-12 weeks to get back to any strenuous activities.

Good luck with your surgery.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for elective surgery

There are many things that you can do to prepare for any elective surgical procedure.  Consider that you will need some help at home for a few days and there will be limitations based on taking pain medications such as not being able to drive the car.  You should keep well hydrated prior to surgery, have your bed and plenty of pillows ready and well as some plastic to use to protect your mattress from any drainage, especially from the liposuction.  I also like my patients to start taking a Vitamin B complex with folic acid prior to surgery as this has been shown to decrease the risk of DVTs.  

Recovery after Mini Tummy Tuck, Lipo, and Breast Reduction

If the minitummy tuck does not involve muscle tightening or plication, then the pain and recovery should be much more tolerable.  Breast reduction pain is usually relatively mild, with liposuction somewhere in between.  You will want to take at least off of work.  Have meals prepared ahead of time.  The best is to have someone to be with you for the first week helping out.  Then, no strenuous activity or lifting greater than 5 lbs for 4 to 6 weeks.