What preparations should I make before mastectomy? Are there certain OTC meds that I can't take?

Are there any preparations I should do before the surgery? Lately I couldn't sleep and its giving me headache. Can I take sleep aids or pain pills like advil? Surgery date is April 28.

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  I would discuss the medication issue as well as sleep with your surgeon for recommendations.  Certainly antiinflammatory agents such as ibuprofen (Advil, Aleve, Motrin, etc) as well as aspirin products do have an increased risk of bleeding, and probably should be stopped prior to your surgical procedure.  I recommend not taking anything the night prior/day of your procedure so that you are lucent and coherent when discussing the procedure itself with the nurses and physicians upon admission to the hospital.

Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a safe and successful outcome!

Breast reconstruction

Don't take anything but your prescriptions.  Medicines like advil, alleve, and aspirin all increase the chances of bleeding during the operation.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+