Can I Get Pregnant After a Tummy Tuck?

Not that i'm planning, but what happens if I were to get pregnant after a tummy tuck procedure?  Will it cause more harm or would the tummy tuck help? Would I need another tummy tuck?

Pregnancy after tummy tuck is safe

This is a great question! There used to be concern that tightening the abdominal wall muscles would prevent the abdomen from stretching during subsequent pregnancy. We know now that this is not the case and you can expect a normal pregnancy after a tummy tuck.

Having said that, you may require another tummy tuck to restore your shape. For this reason, plastic surgeons recommend you have this surgery only after you are finished having children.

Good Luck!

Pregnancy after tummy tuck is safe

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good Luck!

You can get pregnant after a tummy tuck

Yes, although not ideal...Most women undergo a tummy tuck after they've finished having children. Life plans do change, however. I have a patient who is currently pregnant after she had a tummy tuck 5 years prior. Her baby is healthy at 7 months...but she looks like she is about 4 months pregnant. I think the abdominal wall doesn't stretch out forward as much after a tummy tuck. That's one example!

Will she need another tummy tuck? Less likely.

You can get pregnant after a tummy tuck

One can get pregnant after a tummy tuck!

Routinely, when a patient undergoes a tummy tuck, the excess skin is removed and the underlying muscle fascia tighten. Of course, no surgery is performed within the abdominal cavity. Because of that, a woman can certainly go thorough a normal pregnancy and deliver a healthy child after having a tummy tuck before.

Tummy tuck pregnancy: wait until after children

The baby will make it's own space in a patient who has had a tummy tuck, but the surgery may need to be redone. If women are planning on having a baby now or soon, it is not advisable to have a tummy tuck. However, if they are "done" with children but can't rule out getting pregnant in the future, it is usually reasonable to have a tummy tuck.

The safest way to avoid needing a major tummy tuck is to avoid excessively large weight gains during pregnancy-- easier said than done, I know. However when patients learn how beneficial it is for both mother and baby to have a healthy pregnancy (less risk of diabetes, difficult pregnancies, not to mention keeping your figure), it makes the struggle worthwhile. Many fit moms in our practice avoid needing a full tummy tuck and have hybrid tummy tucks instead (short incision, full fascial tightening), the payoff for their hard work.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Brent Moelleken, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

You may end up permanently stretching the tightened tissue out especially if you get real large or have twins. We do not recommend pregnancy after tummy tuck for this reason. I have taken care of several patients who became pregnant after tummy tuck (for whatever reason) and looked almost normal after pregnancy.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

If you are planning on being pregnant in the next year, you should hold off on the tummy tuck.

Roxy,

During an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) the rectus fascia (the layer covering your six-pack) is tightened to flatten out your belly inside. The extra skin is then removed to flatten out your belly outside. If you were to become pregnant soon after having the abdominoplasty, then all of the tissues would stretch and you may well end up close to where you started. So, if you are planning on being pregnant in the next year or so, my recommendation would be to hold off on the abdominoplasty. However, if there are no plans in the works, then go for it. You many need a mini-abdominoplasty in the future, but don't deny yourself the benefits of having the procedure now - if you do really need it.

Roxy,

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck is okay

The short answer: Yes, you can get pregnant after a tummy tuck.

All plastic surgeons will advise you to be done with babies before doing a tummy tuck. Why? When we do a tummy tuck we tighten your muscles and your skin. When you are pregnant you loosen your muscles and stretch your skin. Whatever prompted you to do the tummy tuck in the first place, will recur:

• diastasis (loosening of the muscles)
  • stretch marks
  • hanging skin

When you are already stretched out and want a tummy tuck, your pregnancy is a freebie- you already want to fix your belly, and you are essentially "pre-stretched."

But if life circumstance makes you choose pregnancy after you have been tummy tucked, know we can try to put you back together again.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck is okay

• diastasis (loosening of the muscles)
  • stretch marks
  • hanging skin

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) and subsequent Pregnancy

Ideally, a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) should be done AFTER you are done having children.

During each pregnancy the tummy six pack muscles are separated and pushed to the sides. This separation (diastasis) is permanent and cannot be improved with diet or exercise. During a Tummy Tuck, the muscles are brought back together and the separation is corrected resulting in a flatter tummy.

Although a Tummy Tuck will not prevent you from getting pregnant, ANY subsequent pregnancy will slowly separate the muscles, recreating the pooch you had before the Tummy Tuck and you may need a more complicated re-do Tummy Tuck to bring the muscles together again.

Dr. P. Aldea

Dr. P. Aldea

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

Hello, There is nothing involved in the tummy tuck procedure that will prevent you from having a healthy pregnancy after the procedure, however, it is not usually recommended as you are to experience the same issues again. (Stretched, loose skin, stretch marks, etc.) If you are not planning on having another child in the immediate future, I can understand. It's just a general question. And I've seen several patients that had a Mommy Make Over because they were done, then unexpectedly became a Mommy once more! It happens.You just have to know your results will not be maintained and you will likely require another surgery to get things back to pre-pregnancy look. Good luck!

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

Can you get pregnant after a Tummy Tuck?

This is a common question i get i asked and the answer is.. yes of course you can.  A Tummy Tuck will not stop you from getting pregnant and most importantly will not prevent your tummy from growing during pregnancy. A tummy tuck will not complicate or cause harm to future pregnancies.  Most people tend to undergo a Tummy Tuck after they have completed having children and this is certainly my recommendation.

Will the pregnancy ruin the tummy tuck results? The answer is "it depends."  If you put on a significant amount of weight 20kg+ during the pregnancy you will have to expect some "damage" to the results.
So if you happen to fall pregnant after a Tummy Tuck you want to aim for sensible healthy weight gain. it is best to see a nutritionist and personal trainer experienced with pregnant women to give yourself the best chance of a healthy safe pregnancy, and less likely to undo any of the results achieved with a tummy tuck.