Which procedure would be best to get rid of my mummy pooch and stretch marks? (Photo)

Mommy Makeover

A procedure that is great for women who have had children and want a smoother, firmer abdomen is a tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck procedure involves removing excess skin and fat, as well as tightening the abdominal muscles that have separated due to pregnancy. Many women who are ready for a body transformation can benefit from a mommy makeover! A mommy makeover includes a tummy tuck as well as breast surgery, and sometimes liposuction if needed. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for an examination to determine which procedures would be best to help you achieve your goals! Good luck with your research!

Tummy Tuck and / or Liposuction to address your concerns

Hi. Thanks for the images. You will benefit from a full tummy tuck and liposuction. You will need to wait atleast for a year after pregnancy, just in case you have just delivered. I would like to give you more details on what is realistically achievable in your case. A word of caution : Tummy Tuck is recommended in only those who have completed their family. You may not be able to head for subsequent pregnancies after a tummy tuck. In case you plan to have subsequent children, you can opt for just a Liposuction at the moment (which will help you contour a bit but will not address the stretch marks) and a full tummy tuck after you complete your family. 

Hi KiaraIt looks like you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck using a minimal scar technique. This would tighten the skin and abdominal muscles and include liposuction to the flanks. RegardsDamien

Full tummy tuck to get rid of mummy pooch

Thanks for your question and photo.  From what I can tell, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with some liposuction of the lateral waist and posterior hip area.   The tummy tuck will flatten the tummy, narrow the waist, and remove most of the stretch marks below the belly button.  The liposuction is a great addition to further define and improve the contour to help give you a more hourglass figure.  Good luck.  

Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty

I think you would be a good candidate for a Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty. This procedure is the combination of liposuction and a traditional tummy tuck. During a tummy tuck I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist then I cut out the excess skin to achieve overall, a smaller waist with a nice flat abdomen and a thin scar hidden below the bikini line. With the use of topical scar creams or lasers, this can further diminish the scar line to make it less visible. Then the use of liposuction will help remove any excess fat deposits along with creating a nice, smooth silhouette. I hope this helps!
Good luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.   I think that you would be an ideal candidate for a full abdominoplasty (or tummy tuck).  From your picture it looks as though you may have a C-section scar which would be removed with your abdominoplasty.  The incision would fall below your underwear or bikini line, so it would not be visible.  An abdominoplasty will remove most, if not all, of your stretch marks and also remove excess skin on your abdomen giving it a tighter, firmer look.  Good luck!

Ryan Marshall, DO
Missoula Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment?

Hello,  thank you for your question and photo.   You are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck an lipo of your waist.  The muscle repair will give you the flat belly and the tummy tuck will help you to eliminate the stretch marks below the belly button.  Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

The post-pregnancy pooch

In the photo you look like a good candidate for a full tummy tuck. This would get rid of the excess loose skin of the lower abdomen, and the stretch marks below the belly button would be removed as well. The stretch marks along the upper abdomen would remain, although they would get moved lower on the abdomen once the skin is tightened. Before any surgery, I would want to know how much time has passed since you had the baby, and if you are planning to have more children. I recommend waiting at least 6 months post-pregnancy before any tummy tuck procedure, and it is also best to do it after you are done having kids.

Anita Patel, MD

Which procedure would be best to get rid of my mummy pooch and stretch marks?

Thank you for the question and picture. You will likely be a great candidate for tummy tuck.  The redundant tissue consists of both skin and adipose tissue; often, despite best efforts, these areas may be resistant to diet/exercise. The abdominal wall muscles that have spread with pregnancy or weight gain/loss, are re approximated in the midline as well.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Which procedur?

Thank you for your question and photo. You would appear to be an excellent candidate for a full  tummy tuck. I always like to make sure a woman is certain that she is finished having children before a tummy tuck. This way you get the most bang for your buck by doing it once!  A full tummy tuck will tighten the abdominal muscles and improve your core tone as well as remove the loose skin of the abdomen. Liposuction is often used to contour areas such as the flanks or upper abdomen as the case may be. Speak with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in  your area and have all your questions answered. You can expect a very nice result!!Good Luck