Hiding Scar Through Hair Transplant?

How long do I have to wait before I can get hair transplant over a recently excised 0.6 cm pox scar in my cheek, in an attempt to cover the scar?

Possibility of hiding the Scar through hair transplant

Actually, it is very important to know when it’s the appropriate time to do a hair transplant in cases that involves scarring especially when the stitches are involved. The individual has to be patient enough to ensure that all pox has been removed and the wound has healed to a good shape before thinking about the surgery, that is if it might be needed, because at times the patient might not need a transplant. This varies depending on the individual’s ability to heal fast, but it is recommended to undergo a hair transplant to cover scars between the period of 3 - 6months with clear proof of pox completely excised and observance whether or not to go for the transplant.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can have a hair transplant when the scar has healed

You can have a hair transplant when the scar has healed and the doctor is OK with performing the surgery.  It is the decision made by the doctor.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hiding scar through Hair Transplant

If this is in the area of your sideburn and the wound has healed, six months is an appropriate time to consider a transplant.

Jack Fisher, MD

Hiding scar through Hair Transplant

Jack Fisher, MD

Hair Transplant Through Scar

A time frame of about 2-3 months should be enough to let the scar heal well enough to perform a hair transplant.

Hair Transplant Through Scar

Hair transplant can be done in scars as well as beards and moustaches

I would recommend waiting at least 6 weeks after your pox excision.  This will allow the scar to heal and mature to pretty much its full strength.  Also, if any infection would occur, the 2-4 week window is the usual time period for this.  Hair transplants are great for scars, beards, and moustaches.  So, barring any infection and wound healing problems, you should get a good result.  Good luck!

Transplanting hair into a scar

The transplanting of hair into a scar can be a quite effective way to help conceal it. I typically recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months before doing the procedure. If the scar is quite small, it is easier to obtain the grafts by the incisionless FUE technique, which avoids a linear donor site incision

Transplanting hair into a scar

Hair Transplants Over A Scar

If the pox scar was properly excised, it should heal without the need for hair transplants. You are probably early on in the healing process, given a little more time, the scar will fade and you might not need the hair transplant. Remember that it can take up to a full year for scars to remodel, fade and get to the final appearance. Try to be patient.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants Over A Scar

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision vs Hair transplantation on the face

Your best cosmetic results are likely to be with excision and direct closure of the scar which should leave you with a fine line, barely perceptible scar that shold be less noticeable than trying to place grafted hairs into a depressed scar.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Facial Hair Transplants

First I ask what your trying to camouflage? If it is the appearance of the scar it would be best to revise the incision. If there is a depression, use of a filler may be easier. Remember, if you do transplants it will be necessary to grow a beard, or you've wasted your time and money.

Facial Hair Transplants

Revision is always possible

For hair growth on the cheek, I would suggest one of two options. First, grafting can be done though the take rate in areas of scar can be slightly less than the take rate in a 'virgin' area. At times, it is better to have the scar completely removed and meticulously repaired so that the bare area is no longer present. This is usually a better option for areas where a scar already exists in a hair bearing surface. In either case, I would only wait about a month before pursuing options.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision is always possible

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon