Wondering if it is OK to rotate Botox injection areas?

For instance can I get my forehead injected one month, my crows feet the next, and then elevens a month after that and so on?

Yes, it is okay to rotate Botox injections.

Yes, it is okay to rotate Botox injections. Although it might mean more trips to your provider's office, there is no harm done in rotating injection sites. Certain areas may last longer than other areas and might not need to be treated every time. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person consultation to discuss your options. If your reasoning is financial, Brilliant Distinctions is a great reward program in which you get points for each treatment which in turn generates a coupon. In our office, we take of it all for you.

Dallas Dermatologist

Botox for different area

It is recommended to wait 3 months between injections of botox to prevent resistance. You also will  get the best cosmetic effect by treating both the elevens ( glabella) and forehead at the same time. Sometimes one area will not wear off as fast as the other, and then you may only need to treat one area the next time.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Botox for different areas

I would try to have your Botox injected to the glabella and forehead simultaneously so that you have the best cosmetic results.  If one area is frozen, however, then you can absolutely do less and only one area at a time. I use "baby Botox" with fabulous results which give a natural result.  Best, Dr. Green

Rotating Botox Injection Areas

There is no reason you cannot alternate injection areas. I recommend injecting the glabella (the 11’s) at the same time you have the forehead injected. This may help to give you a natural well rested appearance without a heavy feeling.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Get the Glabella and Forehead done together

If you would like to rotate the areas that is fine, however I would recommend getting your forehead and glabella done at the same time.  If you have lines in both the glabella and forehead by injecting one area you may cause the other area to work harder causing more lines. 

Rotating Botox from one area to another?

While most patients who receive Botox (and Dysport and Xeomin) and enjoy the results will  continue with having the same facial areas treated each visit, this is not mandatory. The brows, forehead, crows' feet are often all addressed each time. But we have patients who may want treatment of the forehead one time but then request we treat their crow's feet the next time. This is fine.  When  patients have a limited budget and need to keep costs low, we may 'rotate' the sites where we use Botox so that they can achieve improvement in all the areas over time but just not all areas every single time. This is a 'partnership' between the doctor and patient, and we respect the wishes of each of our patients. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello nsingbeil66,
Thanks for your question.
There is no reason you couldn't rotate your Botox injections.
As long as you treat each area on a routine basis, you should develop some atrophy in the muscles of each area over time.
The only issue I see is that you may have imbalances in facial motion that might look weird to you or others that would require balancing by adding Botox to other areas.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Treatment Areas

I never treat the forehead (or very rarely) without treating the glabellar lines due to unopposed lowering of the brows if you do that.  Especially if you want a subtle natural look. However, you can easily rotate doing the crows feet with the other areas yes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hi, I have used Botox or one of the other neurotoxins for over 30 years.  I see no reason that you couldn't have your Botox injections on the rotational schedule that you have mentioned.  Should be no problem.

Hope this helps.

Hello Nsignbeil66,

That is an option that wouldn't cause any problems.  However, it wouldn't be my recommendation and here is why: it will take a monthly trip, there is no benefit in doing it other than spreading out the cost, and the most common side effect of slight bruising will possibly have you with new slight bruises each month instead of all at once.  Now if you are doing one area at a time to see if Botox is right for you, that is fine for the first treatment.  But I think it would be in your best interest once you know you like it to treat everything. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon