I'm considering a tummy tuck, will I need liposuction also?

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

I always perform some liposuction with a tummy tuck. This is to make sure that the contours in the lower abdomen and sides are all uniform for an aesthetic result. Some patients will also benefit from additional liposuction to the flanks and posterior hips while some others also wish to have thigh liposuction added as part of their tummy tuck procedure. These are all reasonable options but the decision to add this liposuction should be a combination of your desires and what your plastic surgeon thinks is safe and beneficial to you.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Thank you for your question.  Without photographs it is difficult to answer, but generally speaking it is necessary to liposuction your sides at the same time as the tummy tuck. This is done so that there is no fullness left on your sides which could cause a fold or roll over the end of the incision if it is not treated.  Fat above the navel is removed using a different method than liposuction so that blood vessels are not damaged and therefore allows better healing of the tummy tuck incision.   I prefer to liposuction a patient's back at the same time as a tummy tuck to address the bra rolls and shape the top of the buttocks.  This will give a better result and achieve a more "hour-glass" figure.  I hope this helps.

Liposuction with a tummy tuck

To get the best results with a tummy tuck, liposuction is usually used to sculpt the abdominal wall and flanks and perhaps lower back. The decision whether to use liposuction should be made between you and your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. Liposuction and Tummy Tuck can be performed in the same surgery if the patient qualify for it. Liposuction is indicated in patients with localized fat for removing it.

Aramis Vega, MD

Liposuction with tummy tuck?

You did not provide much information about yourself so this is a difficult question to answer.  Since we generally remove the apron of skin and fat below the belly button during a tummy tuck, it would be redundant to liposuction the very tissue that we are removing (unless you are planning to re-inject the fat elsewhere).  I also don't like to liposuction the area above the belly button if I am planning to do a tummy tuck as well because it might interfere with the blood supply to the skin along the edge of the tummy tuck.  If there is still some fullness in that area later then I can always come back and liposuction the area later. Sometimes I will perform liposuction off to the side of the abdomen simply to tailor this area and prevent fullness to the area.  Sometimes patients will pair liposuction of the hips and thighs (or other areas) with a tummy tuck.  This works well.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Tummy tuck or liposuction

A tummy tuck operation addresses the skin excess and muscle weakness of the abdomen, and the fat between the belly button an pubic hairline.  Liposuction addresses fatty deposits.  They are different operations with different goals.

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Liposuction is frequently performed as part of a tummy tuck. However, it is not always needed if the problem is primarily skin and muscle related. You should visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your interest in this procedure.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Liposuction surgery is simply a tool that I find I useful for most patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery. It is often helpful when contouring certain parts of the abdomen, flanks and/or pubic area.
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy tuck with liposuction

A tummy tuck is usually combined with liposuction of the sides (love handles) to achieve a good shape. You need to be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate to combine these procedures. 
Good luck.