I am 320 pounds, a 36 year old woman - I would like to know am I candidate for a tummy tuck?

I am 320 pounds a 36 year old women and I want to have a tummy tuck and lipo . I healthy for the most part but I do suffer from anemia I had to have a blood transfusion about 6 months ago but since then I've

Bariatric surgery as a stepping stone to cosmetic body contouring

Based on your weight and medical issues - it might be wise to consult with an experienced bariatric (weight loss) surgeon in your area - weight loss and improved health will set the stage for a better cosmetic body contouring outcome. Good luck.

Am I candidate for abdominoplasty?

Thanks for your question.  I understand your desire to improve your appearance, but your health is not where you need it to be.  At 320 lbs you fall into the category of obesity, if not morbid obesity (you didn't provide a height to allow us to calculate BMI).  Either of these conditions are detrimental to your health and can shorten your lifespan.  You should at least schedule a consultation with a bariatric surgeon to hear the options for gastric banding, bypass, etc.  Some patients can lose the weight on their own, but bariatric surgery can help those who need help.  After you are closer to your ideal weight, you might be a better, safer candidate for cosmetic surgery.
Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and with a weight of over 300 pounds you are NOT a candidate for an abdominoplasty but would possibly benefit from bariatric surgery to help get your weight down

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

320 pound 36 yo ?tummy tuck

at 320 you are not a candidate for a tummy tuck, and in fact it would be dangerous, and your result would be poor. my best advice is to find a well qualified bariatric surgeon in your area and have a consult. It is common to have good body contouring surgery after a successful gastric bypass. you would also be healthier. good luck

William Lambeth, MD (retired)
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

you are NOT a candidate. you are fooling yourself if you think that you are in good health.  you may want to see a bariatric ( stomach stapling) surgeon to help you.  good luck

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck at over 300 pounds

I would say absolutely NO! lose the weight, bariatric surgery gets wonderful results. Look for someone in your area that runs a center of excellence and go for a consultation with them. the tummy tuck can be done safely once you lose the weight. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

would absolutely advise aganst doing a TT when you are 320 pounds. You neeed to lose lots of wight in order to have a good result and minimize compications.

George Lefkovits, MD

Thank you for the question.  No, in my opinion you are not a candidate for any type of elective plastic surgery. I would suggest, that you start with your primary care physician. A good medical workup will be necessary to rule out conditions that may make weight loss difficult for you.  Your anemia obviously needs to be worked up as well. Once this evaluation has been completed, I think you may benefit from consultation with “professionals” such as weight loss physicians ( possibly bariatric surgeons), nutritionists and/or personal trainers. Keep in mind, that plastic surgeons will not be your best resource when it comes to “weight loss”;  body contouring operations such as tummy tuck surgery and/or liposuction surgery are indicated for patients who have achieved a long-term stable weight, but are left with diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue/skin. Best wishes as you work towards your goals.

How to know if someone is c candidate for tummy tuck?

In general, one should be close to ideal body weight for best results in abdominoplasty. The change in weight after a tummy tuck may be only around 4 or 5 pounds.  Complications of the procedure go up with increased weight.  You can consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for options.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon